BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to replace the roundels on my 04 530. I have an issue I need some quick help with. I note that the trunk roundel seems to fit much more tightly to the skin of the car than the hood - meaning it does not seem to be possible to slip the BMW pry tool under the roundel - makes me wonder if the roundel is mounted from within with mechanical fasteners. Anyone know if this car has the rubber grommets like the hood does?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replacing Roundels

Never mind guys - got it, For those who may have the same issue, the answer is yes - at least on the 2004 530i, all the roundels except the steering wheel are pushin stud mounted.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Indeed!

For future roundel replacers, do NOT waste your money on suction-type devices. And for future steering wheel roundel replacers, do NOT attempt to remove the roundel on your steering wheel unless you're in the mood for an expensive disaster.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The best way to remove the old roundel may be to do what my dealer does.

They drill a hole in the old one just enough to bust through the roundel without damaging paint beneath it on the hood or trunk. Then they use a wire-like hook (homemade) to just jerk the old one off.

The old one gets trashed but it's trash anyway.

·
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere
664 Posts
My dealer showed me a trick for the hood roundel replacement. THey save the plastic straps that band their boxes, you know the thin white, clear banding straps found on certain boxes.

Any way they keep them behind the counter for when a customer buys a roundel. You just slip the strap under the center of the roundel make a loop, WEAR GLOVES, and give a yank upward. Worked really well for me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My dealer showed me a trick for the hood roundel replacement. THey save the plastic straps that band their boxes, you know the thin white, clear banding straps found on certain boxes.

Any way they keep them behind the counter for when a customer buys a roundel. You just slip the strap under the center of the roundel make a loop, WEAR GLOVES, and give a yank upward. Worked really well for me.
+1 worked for me and mine was in really tight

·
Registered
16 Posts
Indeed!

For future roundel replacers, do NOT waste your money on suction-type devices. And for future steering wheel roundel replacers, do NOT attempt to remove the roundel on your steering wheel unless you're in the mood for an expensive disaster.
I have to ask if ANYONE has had success replacing the roundel in the steering wheel. Mine is faded and started the whole "let's replace the roundels" kick that I am on. I don't like to hear that I should leave the steering wheel alone. I feel like this has been done successfully, but I can't find the post I'm thinking about. I don't want to accept that I cannot change out the steering wheel roundel. 55k miles, so no warranty work right? I purchased roundels from ebay and I'm going to replace everything that I can.

·
Registered
'18 BMW X1, '14 ML350, '07 C280
2,058 Posts
BMW roundel on the steering [it's actually affixed on the air bag cover] can't be changed without replacing the airbag - if you want to do it the right way.

If you don't like that answer, there is super glue, duck tape/scotch take... and many other suggestions will follow :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
the steering wheel roundel is made out of inferior materials. My car is just under four years old and the steering wheel roundel is literally discentigrating. I am taking my car in for service next month and will have them look at it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
the steering wheel roundel is made out of inferior materials. My car is just under four years old and the steering wheel roundel is literally discentigrating. I am taking my car in for service next month and will have them look at it.
Mine was in perfect condition (7 years old) when I hit it with the side of my fist and dented it BAD :mad:

If you have any luck removing it let me know, but I don't think you can without air bag replacement. Overlay one is your best option... I think.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Do not pull the old one out... its part of the airbag cover
the ones we sell are basically with an adhesive back that you just put right on the old one.

I have to ask if ANYONE has had success replacing the roundel in the steering wheel. Mine is faded and started the whole "let's replace the roundels" kick that I am on. I don't like to hear that I should leave the steering wheel alone. I feel like this has been done successfully, but I can't find the post I'm thinking about. I don't want to accept that I cannot change out the steering wheel roundel. 55k miles, so no warranty work right? I purchased roundels from ebay and I'm going to replace everything that I can.

·
Registered
263 Posts
the ones we sell are basically with an adhesive back that you just put right on the old one.
What material are the ones you sell made from; do you think they are stiff enough to bridge the gap over a small dent in my factory one?

·
Registered
'18 BMW X1, '14 ML350, '07 C280
2,058 Posts
If the new roundel [on the steering wheel] is not affixed properly, know that it can become a projectile when the airbag deploys. We don't normally think about airbag deploying; when it does, it will save a life. You wouldn't want a projectile in the event of airbag deployment.

My intention is not to unnecessarily scare people. Just make sure it's affixed properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just replaced my stock emblems with CF. Bumping so others see this... I didn't even think to look for a diy for the steering wheel roundel, as it seemed so easy! I figured it would just pry off with a small screwdriver... NOT :thumbdwn: What was BMW thinking?

The good news is that I got the aluminum emblem off without damaging the airbag. Once I got it up enough, I noticed the retaining pieces that go behind the plastic cover, They basically are just longer pieces of aluminum that bend up underneath to secure the emblem. Rather than force it, since it's attached to the airbag, I trimmed them with a wire cutter and was able to maneuver the retaining strips out separately with pliers. PITA, but no real drama. The other thing to note is that there was a raised circle which was slightly smaller than the replacement stick on roundel. I trimmed it with an xacto knife, so that the replacement roundel sits flush. The after effect looks good (actually better than stock), but I have no option to return to stock, since the stock roundel is not replaceable without buying the entire airbag unit. If I were to do it again, I'd just apply the replacement as an overlay!... :dunno:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm reviving this thread from the dead!

Vincent from BimmerZone - which roundel do you sell that covers the stock steering wheel airbag roundel? I searched your website but only found one for the trunk on an E53 ('04 X5). Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.