BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a word to all regarding Royal Purple Synchromax. I put this last August of 2008. This gear oil is the best I have ever used in any of my cars. And believe me I have tried a lot of them over the years. Winter is almost coming to an end and I have not had even one second gear crunch yet. Car shifts effortlessly even on a cold morning. If you need a good gear oil for your manual tranny, this is the product for you in my opinion.

·
Registered
231 Posts
what weight of synchomax did you use? My tranny is notchy when it's cold out.

·
Registered
15,231 Posts
Redline MT-90 works beautifully for me.
Even when temp gets down to -10 (yes minus 10) deg F in Nebraska.
It shifts smoothly through all gears.
I have used Redline MT-90 now for 3 years, very happy.

·
BMW's are cool
94 Posts
i bought my 2000 540i 2 weeks ago and it was hard to get out of gear and it grinded in 2nd when cold. I switched to RP and it no longer grinds and its never hard to take out of gear anymore. It's still a little notchy when cold but it's sooo much better than grinding.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
i feel it's too thin for me. when i drained it about 3 weeks ago, it came out very very watery.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Changing the transmission fluid is something I have been meaning to do. I did a search and it appears the 6MT in my 540 needs 1.1 quarts, is this right? That seems like an awfully small amount oil

·
Registered
854 Posts
Changing the transmission fluid is something I have been meaning to do. I did a search and it appears the 6MT in my 540 needs 1.1 quarts, is this right? That seems like an awfully small amount oil
That doesn't sound right. I know on an automatic you need a least 4.5 qts for a drain/refill.

·
Registered
15,231 Posts
I did this in May 2006 and here is my write-up for 98 528i 5sp (Your V8 MT fill plug is on the opposite side of I6 MT). Yes your MT (and most car MT) takes about 1.4-1.5 qt. Do not worry about exact published fluid capacity in the book: Fill MT fluid until it drips out of the fill hole, then stop.
http://bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/189240

I use:
Man Trans: Redline MT-90
Rear Diff: Redline 75W90

·
Gearhead
1,126 Posts
So no ne here's renewing with the OEM BMW LFT, or LTF, trans fluid? Too expensive, not enough protection? :dunno: I think the dealer charged me $27 for a liter/qt.

·
Please, call me Brian.
10,782 Posts
I'll be putting Royal Purple Fluids in my tranny and diff this weekend, or sometime soon. Hopefully it's as good as everyone says!

·
Freude am Fahren
2,400 Posts
1.8 qt. But, you just buy two and fill to the fill hole.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I dropped by poop boys today and got two quarts of royal purple synchromax. I also picked up a quart of royal purple 75-90 gear oil. Is one quart enough for the rear diff?

I am also considering adding some sea foam to the transmission and rear diff before changing the fluid out. Should I do this or skip it? I figure if it's safe for the motor oil and fuel system then it should be okay for the transmission and rear diff.

·
Freude am Fahren
2,400 Posts
It takes a bit over a quart for the dif. I forget the exact measure maybe 1.4 qt., and my Bentley's is out in the garage. But, again no matter just fill to the plug hole. Nix the Seafoam, just drain and refill.

Remember, in both cases, open the fill plug BEFORE the drain plug.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
+1 RPS for manual trannys! When I bought the car it was always difficult to shift into 1st and 2nd when cold and always felt much too stiff and notchy at any temp. About 2 years and 30k miles later, shifts beautifully in all gears and never a problem at cold startup. Highly recommend for manual transmissions. I think RPS only comes in one weight for MT.

·
Registered
854 Posts
+1 RPS for manual trannys! When I bought the car it was always difficult to shift into 1st and 2nd when cold and always felt much too stiff and notchy at any temp. About 2 years and 30k miles later, shifts beautifully in all gears and never a problem at cold startup. Highly recommend for manual transmissions. I think RPS only comes in one weight for MT.
What about Auto trannies? can I use Royal Purple in my Auto?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts