BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm coming up on a tranny fluid change and have always used RP Syncromax. I've heard a lot about Redline MTL and was wondering if anyone could provide insight to one over the other. If people who have used BOTH could help me out, that would be great. But feel free to post your experiences with the Redline. I realize there are a ton of threads on tranny fluids, just looking for a direct comparison between the two. Thanks guys and gals.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I vote for Red Line MTL..:)

Haven't tried RP Syncromax so I can't compare the two.
Can you give me some points that you like specifically about it? Any negatives?

·
Some say...
1,514 Posts
Can you give me some points that you like specifically about it? Any negatives?
Buttery smooth shifts.
Doesn't get notchy when the tranny gets hot.

Cons-

It's thicker than RP so it might take more effort to shift when it's cold outside.:dunno:

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
I have had Redline MT-90 (it is a bit thicker than MTL) now for almost 4 years.
It shifts beautifully even when it is minus 20 degrees here in Omaha NE.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have had Redline MT-90 (it is a bit thicker than MTL) now for almost 4 years.
It shifts beautifully even when it is minus 20 degrees here in Omaha NE.
x2. although where i live, it's usually 80 most of the time, and never gets in the 20's:D

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks fellas keep 'em coming.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,208 Posts
Another option is a 50/50 mix of RedLine MTL and RedLine ATF....(this is a RedLine-approved blend)

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another option is a 50/50 mix of RedLine MTL and RedLine ATF....(this is a RedLine-approved blend)
I have read about this but I'm not sure. I may try it out.

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
Don't forget to contact Redline either by phone or email and ask their tech, "Dave" I believe is his name, they have way more technical experience with their oil/lubes than a few anecdotal experiences on this forum.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't forget to contact Redline either by phone or email and ask their tech, "Dave" I believe is his name, they have way more technical experience with their oil/lubes than a few anecdotal experiences on this forum.
I just hope can get an unbiased answer from calling the company.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have used both and prefer the Royal purple. I ran Redline in my in my E24/E34's and it was OK, and then ran it in my M3. I then tried the RP in my M3 and it was much smoother and had a better feel, especially during the winter months. The Redline seemed thinner and did not shift as smooth for my taste. I currently use RP for my differential and tranny in my E39 and could not be happier. Of course, this is anecdotal after all - maybe this thread should not exist.

I am sure if you call RP, Amsoil, or Redline, each one will tell you their product is better.

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
I just hope can get an unbiased answer from calling the company.
My point is they may have specific recommendations for your transmission, that's all. I see people working up their own "formulations" by mixing and that might be ill advised...
At least if you decide to try their product, you will know you are giving it they best chance of success. I have used redline 75w-90 NS in the transaxle in my Ferrari and it works great, and highly recommended by several noted Ferrari techs. That product is not recommended in a normal manual trans, so best to ask them what is recommended.

I also use Redline 75w-90 in the diff of my 540, but use the Esso stuff in the slush box. ;)

·
Registered
742 Posts
It wasn't in my BMW, but I tried both in my SVT Contour. The MTL was amazing in warm weather, and when the car was up to to operating temperature. Where it failed was cold weather operation. It was as bad if not worse than the original ATF int he transmission. I switched to Synchromax, and the cold weather issues were taken careof, but it wasn't as nice in hot weather. Given I live in Ottawa, the RP was better all around for my use.

·
E30 Maniac
2,461 Posts
Running synchromax in the 540 and Redline MTL in the e30s.. both seem to work fine, shifts smooth. Bit hard to compare since the transmissions are different. I'd stick with the current selection when it's time to re-up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm considering transmission fluids myself, so this discussion is helpful. I'm trying to decide whether to replace the fluid with the BMW recommended Pentosin MTF-LT-2, or go with an aftermarket.

My highly trusted indy mechanic recommends using only BMW fluids mostly for insurance/liability purposes, and the dealership doesn't even recommend a fluid change, standing by the "lifetime fill" guideline.

I'm definitely planning to change the fluid, but might play it safe with the Pentosin. I'm mostly wondering if RP or Redline is actually better. I'm running Redline in my e36, which shifts really well, but I'm less inclined to take any chances with this 540. Redline currently recommends their D4ATF for this application: http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=13.

·
E30 Maniac
2,461 Posts
I'm considering transmission fluids myself, so this discussion is helpful. I'm trying to decide whether to replace the fluid with the BMW recommended Pentosin MTF-LT-2, or go with an aftermarket.

My highly trusted indy mechanic recommends using only BMW fluids mostly for insurance/liability purposes, and the dealership doesn't even recommend a fluid change, standing by the "lifetime fill" guideline.

I'm definitely planning to change the fluid, but might play it safe with the Pentosin. I'm mostly wondering if RP or Redline is actually better. I'm running Redline in my e36, which shifts really well, but I'm less inclined to take any chances with this 540. Redline currently recommends their D4ATF for this application: http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=13.
pentosin is probably fine but maybe more expensive. what's the liability issue? you out of warranty anyways arn't you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You're right- no warranty, but I'm hesitant to deviate from factory specs, particuarly with something that is changed so rarely as transmission fluid. I read somewhere that the factory fluid changes properties over time in a way that helps the transmission, and that changing to another fluid might do more harm than good.

Still, there are also a lot of stories of people running well for many miles on RP and Redline. I run Amsoil Euro 5W40 in part because it meets LL04 ratings. I guess I need to read more about the ratings for Pentosin vs. RP, etc. For what it's worth, Amsoil doesn't provide a substitute fluid for my transmission.

·
Registered
630 Posts
" Oil formulations "

I know that UUC had a formula of mixing two oils together to help with the noise from a light weight flywheel. I have MTL in my Getrag 420 and 75W-90 Gl-5 in the 3.38 non LSD differential.Some people say I should have the 80w-140. I am actually using Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 for now to dump in a couple of thousand miles .(BMW recommended oil.) I will go with the BMW 5w-30 eventually , all 12 quarts of it.Accusump Oil reservoir ( 2.5 quarts) , oil cooler (1.5 quarts), supercharger ( 1/2 quart while operating ) ,10AN oil lines everywhere ( who knows ) ...That is why 12 quarts.... I really do not know if one is better than the other when you get to the Redline , Amsoil , Royal Purple etc... They all are race proven ... I have the Redline as that is what Active Autowerke put in my car.... Seems to work , limited noise from the tranny ( JB Racing Flywheel ) and the diff works.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts