BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get the drive train malfunction error message. When I'm in 3rd gear and above and hard accelerating, the rpm drops by 500.
It's a manual transmission.
I've changed the air filter, spark plugs, ignition coils and did the oil change w/filter.

Does the n20 have an idle control valve?

Any help is much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
When I'm in 3rd gear and above and hard accelerating, the rpm drops by 500.
It's a manual transmission.
If the car is in 3rd gear and accelerating the engine speed could only drop if the clutch was disengaged. You may have a bad tach. Or your description is missing something.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sammy, your description is confusing. In your first post you said that the rpm's decrease 500. In your second post you say that the engine speed does not decrease.
If the engine speed does not decrease, but you feel a loss of power, my first suspicion is clutch slippage.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Sammy, your description is confusing. In your first post you said that the rpm's decrease 500. In your second post you say that the engine speed does not decrease.
If the engine speed does not decrease, but you feel a loss of power, my first suspicion is clutch slippage.

\That was my first thought as well

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The first error code may point to the cause of your problems. And after you resolve the main battery issue also replace the remote battery.
I think you need to find a good mechanic who can interpret codes and trace symptoms.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You could also be having electrical issues maybe a drain on the battery
how old was your battery?
but its hard to believe this is causing your RPM issues

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Do you know the battery is bad and how to register the new battery with your car? I think you would do better finding a good mechanic who can interpret codes and trace symptoms. Just swapping out parts may get expensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts