BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm out of town. Everything was fine until I went and filled up my gas tank and added mobile 1 synthetic oil since I was running a little low.

The car is idling rough and in park it climbs up to
2000 rpm with out me touching the gas. What's going on? Bad gas perhaps? The bottle
Of oil was mobile 1. Help ASAP pllz

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm noticing the rpm increase as the car is idling in park. When I put it in drive it's ok.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nvm guys. The jackass at the gas station forgot to close the oil tank cap.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Would the car idle fine in drive but then go up to 2000 rpm when you put it park and then settle back down or did it constantly idle at 2000 in park? I have a similar issue that comes and goes and I'm wondering if it's caused by a vacuum leak. Not having the cap on would have created a vacuum leak which looks like it was the cause of your issue. I was wondering if I had a similar problem

·
Super Moderator
8,683 Posts
I would think that if the cap was off, it would stall the engine. A loose cap would cause high RPM, causing a small vacuum leak. Glad it was a simple fix.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With
The cap leaking,putting the car in park from drive the idle would rev up too 2000 then come down and fluctuate

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem. I added oil and didn't screw the oil cap on tight. Also my check engine light came on as well. Car is driving fine since I put the cap on correctly but light hasn't went off yet. Hopefully soon. Do anyone no if the light will go back off?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I had the same problem. I added oil and didn't screw the oil cap on tight. Also my check engine light came on as well. Car is driving fine since I put the cap on correctly but light hasn't went off yet. Hopefully soon. Do anyone no if the light will go back off?
Might have to reset it using INPA.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

1 - 9 of 9 Posts