BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, what's the recommended RPM for a E38 740i 1998 model. Mine stays at around 250. On my other E38 728i its arround 750. Therefore I am now a bit confused as to the right RPM have. Is this something to worry about and if so what's the fix please. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-N7502 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
V8s are usually around 600 and 6 cylinder a bit higher.
That needle isn't accurate in that region (at least that area from 0 to 1000 isn't linear). 250 is a non running engine already.

go to the hidden OBC menu and read it out there:
http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e38/OBC_Unlock.htm

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,989 Posts
You actually got the right answers in the E39 forum, I didn't mean you had to repost it in here.

But here is another way of thinking about it...If it is idling smoothly it probably isn't too low. If you rev it and it comes back down smoothly without stumbling it probably isn't too low.

You're in the US and have an E38 728i? They didn't sell those here, that's makes it unique! So how's the "go" in that big car with the little engine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, clarifying the etiquetts. I am new this forum thing, so still learning the ropes.
I am actually not in the US. That's something I just realised and get that fixed.
728i is a GCC spec and its knocking near 320k kms on it and it runs fine.

Sent from my SM-N7502 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts