BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rubber parts replacement

1075 4
Well. it's happening. Helped by the thinning of the ozone layer, UV radiation at my home city's altitude ain't helping and rubber parts are beginning to show it.

First, the weatherstrip around the rear seat flaps, especially in the curve where the open/close mechanism/pushrod attaches to the glass, is cracking and about to flake off. And the weather seal at the bottom edge of the windshield, built into the rubberized part that goes around the windshield wipers and meets the edge of the hood, is also starting to crack.

What's the cost, difficulty and procedure for replacing these perishable parts?

If by some divine intervention, the irksome no-start problem finally goes away for good and I decide to keep the car for a longer period, these parts will definitely need replacement, so might as well be getting ready for the task.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Try this first. It has brought back rubber that I thought was beyond rejuvenation.

http://www.amazon.com/einszett-9148...GTQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320940038&sr=8-1
Never tried that particular product, but I`ve always used Armor-All (original formula) on all the seals and other plastic & rubber parts several times a year. It seems to help keep everything flexible.
Try this first. It has brought back rubber that I thought was beyond rejuvenation.

http://www.amazon.com/einszett-9148...GTQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320940038&sr=8-1
I have the same issues with my 2005 coupe. See attached diagram, No. 8 and 11 for the side vent window. I've searched, but have not found much information about how to replace the rubber trim.

Attachments

Bob,

It works great. Having a vert, good rubber seals are even more important than on a coupe. If they fail, I take a shower. Gummi Pflege actually makes the rubber much more pliable, and a little bit lasts a long time. I also use it on the door seals to prevent freeze outs. I have never found it for this cheap before.
Never tried that particular product, but I`ve always used Armor-All (original formula) on all the seals and other plastic & rubber parts several times a year. It seems to help keep everything flexible.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.