BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new to me 2003 325i Wagon with 104K miles has a rubbery drive train. By that I mean there seems to be a fair amount of "give" in the feel of the car when accelerating and decelerating in first gear, and when engaging the clutch. The clutch grabs very late and one item on my agenda is to remove the clutch delay valve (before the Slave Cylinder) and to bleed the clutch and brake system. I have been told by a bmw technician that bleeding the hydraulics should fix my high clutch pedal and removing the CDV should give me a better clutch feel. I do not think this car has ring and pinion "slap". The drive train seems very tight, and there are no unusual clunks, thumps, bangs or other bad noises, commonly associated with CV joints, U-joints. It's just rubbery, and difficult to drive thru a parking lot at slow speeds without lurching or riding the clutch. My passengers look like bobble heads.

So, my question is ; Where on the drive train should I be looking for telltale signs of excessive movement? I thought i would start with the transmission mounts, the drive shaft center carrier bearing, and the rubber donut that isolates the trans from the drive shaft. I honestly don't have any other BMW experience to base my "rubbery" feeling against. But having had numerous Triumphs in my sorted past with loose wire wheels splines, loose u-joints, warn axles splines, and ring and pinion slap; I have had my share of experience. This car is none of that (thank god)

Yes, I have read the Wiki. Great Help!

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
CDV delete will help a lot. The other thing is the dual mass flywheel has two parts that move independently until the springs between them compress. It makes driving around the parking lot goofy and I find I still have to goose it a little for "sport" takeoffs or it won't be smooth. Giubo might be failing - need to visually inspect.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ahull.
I never thought to consider the spring loaded flywheel. I guess that's one more possibility. I need to order some of the proper DOT4/LV brake fluid. I have not been able to source it here in town at a reasonable price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.