Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed all the wheel bearing on my 2006 550i. It fixed the majority of sounds I have been hearing but I still am hearing something on the left - not sure if in the front or the back. Definitely has to do with the tires spinning and is more pronounced when I make a Left turn. Also more pronounced when I have more weight in the car as in more passengers. I do have slightly oversized tires in the back but doesn't sound like a tire rub. Could it be my axle on the rear left? Or some kind of a brake rub?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sounds like you likely ruled out wheel bearings then. LOL
Have someone stand near the car as you drive by to narrow down the location then go from there.
Also try removing the left wheels and looking for rub mark on everything

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,942 Posts
My money's on a worn control arm bushing. Did you inspect the rest of the suspension? Or are you positive it's something spinning? Bent dust shield?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My money's on a worn control arm bushing. Did you inspect the rest of the suspension? Or are you positive it's something spinning? Bent dust shield?

Positive it has to do with spinning. The sound gets faster and faster the faster you go. I'll check the dust shield and give that a shot.

If that's not it I'm just thinking what could it be that has to do with spinning and gets more prominent with weight and turning? I'll check for tire rubs but doesn't have that tire rub sound.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I found the last rubbing/scraping sound. I removed the under panel in front while dealing with continuous coolant leaks. When I had the front passenger wheel off I noticed a bracket hanging down that I believe is used to hold that panel on that I removed and yet to put back on. This bracket was close to the inside of the wheel so I bent it inwards a bit away from the wheel. I took it out for a drive with my kids for weight and not a single sound coming from the wheels. So I'm hoping this was the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts