Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I dont know how to explain the noise, but recently after its gotten cold and being winter I noticed my suspension either in the front or the back is wack going over bumpy roads, and makes a rumbling noise when going over bumps.

Also if I have passengers in the back or I go over a bump fast enough I hear a squeak noise in the rear, but doesn't squeak any other time. Could be this after market "Monroe" shock I had to put on the car when I first got it in order to pass inspection...

Not to add, I recently was re tightening my shock tower bolts to see if I can get rid of this steering wheel squeaking noise, happens every time it gets cold, but with no luck, but one of the nuts i think had broken at the bottom and became a little loose, and I immediately stopped torquing it as it was becoming too easy to turn, (its the closest bolt towards the engine, not the outer two), its still tight to the point i cant turn it with my fingers. I read that its ok to drive with it like this since the other two are intact, but not to go crazy on turns.

Are my front shocks becoming to an end ? or is something loose ? or do I need those rubber mounts for the front and rear? im lost... and dont know where to start.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I had a serious squeaking noise in the rear of the car. Nope, not mice.

It turned out to be the integral link and ball joint assemblies, which were completely worn out.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a serious squeaking noise in the rear of the car. Nope, not mice.

It turned out to be the integral link and ball joint assemblies, which were completely worn out.
yep mine sounds like mice, but its only when I have a fully loaded car and i hit a hump/bump when I hear the noise.

also i think my front struts or springs are worn out, the front end dips too low after going over a speed bump.

do shock springs lose their tension over time ?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
yep mine sounds like mice, but its only when I have a fully loaded car and i hit a hump/bump when I hear the noise.

also i think my front struts or springs are worn out, the front end dips too low after going over a speed bump.

Springs don't really wear out, struts do. Go to a corner of your car and push down. The strut should rebound once and settle. You didn't bother to say what you drive and how old it is :tsk: In any case, you don't have to replace your springs along with the struts unless you want to lower the car.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Springs don't really wear out, struts do. Go to a corner of your car and push down. The strut should rebound once and settle. You didn't bother to say what you drive and how old it is :tsk: In any case, you don't have to replace your springs along with the struts unless you want to lower the car.
I'll try the bounce test, but last time I did this, it didn't seem to have no extra bounce, ill try it again.

Did you tighten up the sway bar links too? Up top.
I was checking them along with my wish bones, i tightened up my wish bones just in case, but they are becoming to have some play in them and rubber is beginning to crack up, the sway bar links look good though and have no play in them but I didn't think of tightening them up, but ill try that next.

·
Registered
432 Posts
In my opinion coil springs do wear out - and when they do they just break.
So if you have, let***8217;s say a raised curb you hit the same way to go into your driveway every day, then I would considder replacing your springs in that end after a number of years. Say, like when you replace your strut anyway.
I had one of mine snap in two without warning. God thing was I was only doing 10 mph. Imagine going 100 mph and having one snap under you.
The weight of the car drops on your tires where it happens. So any high speed and your tire will be schredded to pieces.
I had my car towed to the dealership and they told me that they had seen it before. So not something like 1:1.000.000.000 incident.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

Your struts are gas charged. If the charge has leaked out, that can cause the front or rear to sag or dip lower after a bump.

Due to the design of the springs, they are prone to failure, without warning. I had one break while I was replacing the rear shocks on my wagon. The weight was on both front wheels with the rear supported on axle stands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts