Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2003 325i automatic transmission, and I have been trying to figure out what this rumbling/clunking noise and feeling is for EVER now. At first it would only happen from 30 mph until 35 mph. Then 25 mph until 30 mph. 20 until 25 and so on over time. Now from 10 mph until 20 mph is when the noise and feeling happens. It goes with the speed of acceleration. It feels like when you’re going over highway rumble strips. It’s not coming from the front of the car, more like the rear passenger side or towards the center of the car in the arm rest area. I’m attaching a video link for audio purposes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GqAN74D8P7sIJxFYnIx-iu2bODNNeecl/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I'd start with inspection of the "giubo," the rubber doughnut connecting the driveshaft to the output shaft of the transmission. Look for obvious cracks in the rubber.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd start with inspection of the "giubo," the rubber doughnut connecting the driveshaft to the output shaft of the transmission. Look for obvious cracks in the rubber.

Do I need to take the exhaust off to inspect it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,509 Posts
I have a 2003 325i automatic transmission, and I have been trying to figure out what this rumbling/clunking noise and feeling is for EVER now. At first it would only happen from 30 mph until 35 mph. Then 25 mph until 30 mph. 20 until 25 and so on over time. Now from 10 mph until 20 mph is when the noise and feeling happens. It goes with the speed of acceleration. It feels like when you’re going over highway rumble strips. It’s not coming from the front of the car, more like the rear passenger side or towards the center of the car in the arm rest area. I’m attaching a video link for audio purposes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GqAN74D8P7sIJxFYnIx-iu2bODNNeecl/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks in advance!
Is the cars mileage over 98k...if yes...replace the rear drive shaft...

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 6 of 6 Posts