BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rumbling noise

1282 0
Hi, I have a 2010 750i M Sport with 22K miles. Over the past several months my I started hearing a low rumbling sound, varies with speed but not RPM, and not loud. Sounds just like the wear bars on tires when they are near the end of their life. I assumed it was the tires as the wear bars were almost exposed and the noise was faint so I replaced the tires, Dunlop Runflats OEM and the same as replacements. Replaced them maybe 2K miles before I would have because the noise although faint was annoying. New tires and the noise is still there. I took the lead service tech from the dealer who is very good (I've worked with him for 12 years across four seven series). We took a 20 min drive and the noise was there but very faint. He didn't think it was much and to be honest on that drive it was pretty faint. Maybe the roads there are different enough.

I watch the tire shop mount and balance the tires. The tech did a fantastic job. Road force balanced, rotated every tire on the rim to minimize weight, not much weight on each tire. Also the tires looked to run very true on the balancer.

I just got home from a long vacation and the noise is bugging me again. Maybe a wheel bearing? Any other ideas?