BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ROBO-Tim
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, what is everyone's take on run flat tires and performance & failure tolerance.
Is the "mobility kit" sufficient to get out of a jam in a remote location, or is it actually worth considering having a space-saver wheel and jack in the trunk?

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you really want to be sure that you’re not stranded get a compact spare. I don’t have experience with run flats but the mobility kit is a joke. Unless it’s something small like a nail in your tire. Its a can of fix a flat and a 12v compressor. So if you have a sudden blow out the mobility kit is useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,483 Posts
I have the same question..... I just recently purchased a 2015 435i with run flats and was debating if I should buy a new set or rims and tires.
You don't need different rims with non-RFT's. That's a scare tactic some shops use to get you to stay with RFT's. They want you to stay with RFT's because they're more expensive and they wear out faster than non-RFT's. Michelin made a RFT with an internal hard wheel instead of rigid sidewalls, the PAX system. PAX tires needed different rims. But, the whole PAX thing never really took off. But, that's where the myth started.

A spare is essential if you're taking road trips in the car, especially weekend road trips.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=917185

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=977716

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...78282&posted=1

RFT's will usually protect you from having a blowout in an area where it's unsafe to change a tire. But, in about 1M miles of driving, I've only had one rapid deflation. I really can't call it a blowout because the rubber valve stem failed, not the tire. New BMW's have metal valve stems, so the cause of my one rapid deflation has been eliminated.

When my one rapid deflation happened, I had a spare and tools. Fortunately, it happened in a residential area. So, there was no danger in me changing the tire myself. I was on my way in about 20 or 30 minutes.

·
Registered
14,483 Posts
Here is my solution:
1. Membership in AAA with 100 mile towing.
2. 12 volt air pump in the trunk.

in 50 years of driving only 4 flats. Seriously, how many "remote" places do you drive to?

top-rated 12 volt pump only cost $45.
You've lead a charmed life. I've been pretty lucky the last few years, up until last week. But, I've probably had 25 punctures in my 1M miles of driving. Here in Floruduh, there are epidemics of tire punctures after a hurricane, from all the debris being hauled away and falling off the trucks onto the street. There are "dead zones" in most intersections, places where a car tire never goes. After a hurricane those dead zones have piles of crap in them, getting repeatedly run over until eventually getting bounced into the dead zone. My SA said after a hurricane, they're fixing flat tires every day for months.

The whole point of me buying a BMW was to have a comfortable car for road trips. If my destination is less than 1000 miles, I'm driving. I've driven from Floriduh to Cape Cod several times. To be road trip worthy, my cars must have a spare tire.

The one rapid deflation I had was when I was stopped in front of the old house I grew up in, up in Virginia. I hadn't been by there in years. The tire was fine, but the rubber valve stem failed. One theory was that I ended up with a defective valve stem from a batch that came in from China. The other theory is that one of the ghosts in that old house was pissed that I was back, and he/she/it bit my valve stem off.

I had a puncture in my 535i last week. This was my first puncture in about 100k miles. I saw the nail in tire after I parked the car. I rotate the 535i and my beater between a u-stor-it shed. U-stor-it complexes are notorious for having screws and nails laying around. The tire wasn't leaking. So, I drove home and positioned the car in the middle of my 1.75 car garage, put the floor jack under the car, and then pulled the nail out. Then it started leaking. The puncture was too close to the edge to be repaired. Luckily, it was covered by Tire Rack's free two-year road hazard warranty. I put the spare on, and ordered a new tire. I took the flat tire on the rim, and the new tire over to the BMW dealership (who has a lever-less tire machine) in my beater. Tire Rack charged me $30 to shave the tire's tread down to match the other three tires on the car, and the BMW dealership charged me $25 to mount and balance the tire. I'm a big PIA, so the service manager waited on me herself.

When I first called to make an appointment to get the tire replaced, the SA I first talked to couldn't understand why I wasn't bringing my car in on a flatbed. :dunno:

Years ago, my mother lived in a large apartment complex that was constructed in phases over several years. I was constantly finding nails embedded in her tires. They never went flat, though. So, I could drive to the tire store and have the tires properly repaired.

When I was a kid, my parents had a weekend place that was six miles past the end of the road, in the middle of a 10,000 acre wilderness. My dad has two spares for the family Jeep, and a couple of pieces of transportable runway mats left over from WWII. (for digging out of sand, and for changing a tire in sand).

Attachments

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts
Among kits with a portable air compressor & tire sealant, ContiComfortKit and Slime 70005 are good choices. The latter is less than $40 on Amazon.

·
Registered
E93 335i, somewhat mod <> Fog City, CA
2,808 Posts
So, what is everyone's take on run flat tires and performance & failure tolerance.
Is the "mobility kit" sufficient to get out of a jam in a remote location, or is it actually worth considering having a space-saver wheel and jack in the trunk?
Take: Deep Six the RFT's for comfort + performance.

[click me]

·
Registered
581 Posts
I changed from run-flats to regular tires as soon as I got my 535i. The improvement in ride comfort, reduced road noise and improved handling were impressive. I purchased a spare tire and BMW jack from Bimmerzone and put it in the trunk. Of course I have reduced trunk space but there is still enough space for two to travel with lots of stuff and at times use the back seat for overflow. Not long after, on a long trip to Canada, I got a flat. The tire was a Michelin A/S 3 and I was unable to find it in the Montreal area. I found a replacement in Vermont and I was able to complete the last week of my trip in Canada and then I made an appointment and had the new tire put on in Vermont on the way home. While the spare is not a space saver, it is not a full size either, but I was able to travel a couple of hundred miles on it before swapping it out. Run flats are only supposed to be driven for up to 50 miles and no more than 50MPH. I was able to complete my trip and drive a couple of hundred miles and I still have a usable spare tire to use in the future.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Here is my solution:
1. Membership in AAA with 100 mile towing.
2. 12 volt air pump in the trunk.

in 50 years of driving only 4 flats. Seriously, how many "remote" places do you drive to?

top-rated 12 volt pump only cost $45.
Something to keep in mind: If you have a Visa card with Signature benefits it includes a roadside assistance benefit. The nice thing is you only pay when you need it. It's $69.99 per occurrence.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.