Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

In late 2018, I got my beautiful lease, a 2019 430i GrandCoupe in the Bay Area, California. After driving it around for a good 17K miles, I noticed a nail in my front left Bridgestone Potenza. Took it over to the America's tire company and I was told they can't fix it and a new tire is the only option, this'll cost me $403. Plus, I was sold a warranty program for all 4 tires. I am regretting my decision to shell out so much money without checking with you lot 1st (I guess, the whole smoke and pandemic has slowed down my thinking)

It's not late yet. I still have time before I get the replacement done. I am here to get help from the best community on what are my options here. I came across some posts that said the tire manufacturers have a warranty program that we are not told about. Does Bridgestone have this program? Does the BMW warranty cover anything?

My car details:
2019 430i Grand Coupe

Tire Details:
Bridegstone Potenza S001 225/40 R19 89Y

·
Super Moderator
7,998 Posts
Many shops will not plug run flat tires. Try another shop first. If you have no luck, that price is the going rate for that tire. Our go to source which is Tire Rack, quotes the same price.

Another option is, depending on the wear on your tires, is to look at getting 4 new non-run flat tires which should be considerably less expensive and can be plugged. An added benefit is the improved ride. The negative is you will need a spare tire or some sort of repair kit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many shops will not plug run flat tires. Try another shop first. If you have no luck, that price is the going rate for that tire. Our go to source which is Tire Rack, quotes the same price.

Another option is, depending on the wear on your tires, is to look at getting 4 new non-run flat tires which should be considerably less expensive and can be plugged. An added benefit is the improved ride. The negative is you will need a spare tire or some sort of repair kit.
Unfortunately mine is a leased car and when I return the car, it has to have the same tire on it. So I have to put the same Potenza back on. I was hoping to know more about the warranty offered by the manufacturers. Seems like there is no option of manufacturer provided warranty like those online posts suggest.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You might double check that lease return language. I believe your obligations will be to have RFT on the car upon return but not sure if it needs to be the same brand of RFT, in case there is something else out there you like better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few things to share, I have to return the car with the same RFTs so thats that. I went in to the store and while they were working on the tire, I asked them to show me the screw that was lodged in my tire as it looked like a very weak screw. It was indeed a very tiny screw with barely 2-3mm making it inside the surface of the tire. I questioned them do I really need a new tire for this? I am seeing no loss in pressure. There is no surface breach, no leakage and with the looks of it, the screw just wasn't strong or big enough to cause any damage. I had them put back the old tire for now. I got a refund on the price of the tire.

I have kept the replacement certificates on all 4 tires. If in case anything needs to be replaced, I will be covered with this. Plus I don't think I will be doing much driving especially with all the COVID and work from home situation going on.

Thanks for all the wonderful inputs guys. Like always, you all are awesome

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
The BMW FS lease contracts say you have to return the car with the same size, type, and "quality" tire as what came on the car. It doesn't say you have to have the same brand and model of tire. Dealerships will sometimes tell customers they must have BMW-spec' tires on the car at lease turn-in. That's not what the contract says.

There are two ways of saying the same thing when dealing with car dealerships:

"If it ain't in writing... it ain't."

"If their lips are moving, assume they're lying."

If they replaced a tire that had a screw but that didn't penetrate the belt and cause a leak, you were ripped off. You're lucky they put the old tire on and gave you a refund. They got you on selling you that warranty, though.

There's a good chance that an embedded nail or screw doesn't make it through the steel belts. I've having that happen about half the times I've had something stuck in a tire. It's always a good practice to wait until you're in a safe, convenient place, and pull the nail or screw out yourself and see what happens. I have non-RFT's and a spare tire. So, I do this at home in my garage. If it starts hissing (twice in 67k miles on my 535i), I put on the spare and either have the tire repaired or replaced.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,610 Posts
Spreadsheet boy is correct. You do not need to return the car with Potenzas. If someone told you they did, you need to find a better advisor. All 4 tires must be RFT's, all 4 must be the same make, model and load rating, but you can return it with any OE RFT.

BTW I know you are new here, but you posted in the wrong forum. This is the G20 (new body style) forum. Your car is the old body style, F3X. You will get more responses - and learn more about your car - if you head over there.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Spreadsheet boy is correct.
That monkeyazzduck... he so funny.

BMW's OEM tire suppliers have been: Michelin, Goodyear, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli, and Continental. But, they've now started putting Hankook's on some cars. Ford's been using Hankook as an OEM supplier for almost 20 years.

·
Registered
E93 335i, somewhat mod <> Fog City, CA
2,282 Posts
Hi All,

In late 2018, I got my beautiful lease, a 2019 430i GrandCoupe in the Bay Area, California. After driving it around for a good 17K miles, I noticed a nail in my front left Bridgestone Potenza. Took it over to the America's tire company and I was told they can't fix it and a new tire is the only option, this'll cost me $403.

Yeah! [HERE] is what I did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts