BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

· 2008 328i Black/Dakota
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace my tires as the tread 5 3/4 and the ride is very harsh now when hit bumps and manhole covers.

Is it a good option to go for regualr tires and buy and repair kit or go for run flats.

Please advise.

2008 328i first BMW.

Attachments

· Worlds Foremost Authority
22,293 Posts
This has been discussed here at length and the consensus seems to be that Run Flats give a harsher ride.

· Registered
2,510 Posts

· Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,219 Posts
Ok, looks like non run flats are the consensus.
Is there a recommendation about the non run flats make model?

Also thanks for the quick replies guys.
Stop! There is no consensus. These forums are not a consensus-building system. They are a place to vent or rant about something they don't like. We have no real idea how many people are staying with RFTs. And there's another thread that started out as such a rant, and ended up getting a lot of RFT supporters to post in: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637360

· 2008 328i Black/Dakota
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, so i am new and think i was making conclusions too fast .. looks like the new RFT's are solid performers as well form your post.
So i am confused now, which would be a comparable tire to the new factory tires.

· Registered
463 Posts
Also does using the run flat kits the cause the TMPS sensor needs to be replaces is this true.
There's no such thing as a run flat kit. But I assume you mean goo injection kits? Those can can be used on either RTFs or non-RTFs. Same for TPMS, in fact... they can be useful on standard tires.

With all that out of thw way: yes. A goo kit tends to ruin in-tire TPMS sensors.

· Registered
463 Posts
ok, so i am new and think i was making conclusions too fast .. looks like the new RFT's are solid performers as well form your post.
So i am confused now, which would be a comparable tire to the new factory tires.
If you have factory RFTs, everything is FAR better. The factory tires are notoriously bad, especially when combined with the factory shocks. They don't get along well.

You can find far better tires, both in RFT and go-flat. But it's hard to be more specific without knowing your priorities. Track performance? Road performance? Harshness? Resistance to potholes? Bad weather safety? etc. etc.

Tires are distressingly complex things to purchase.

22,293 Posts
Stop! There is no consensus. These forums are not a consensus-building system. They are a place to vent or rant about something they don't like. We have no real idea how many people are staying with RFTs. And there's another thread that started out as such a rant, and ended up getting a lot of RFT supporters to post in: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637360
I stated that there seems to be a consensus that RFTs have a less harsh ride than non-RFTs and I will stand by that statement.

I have never seen a post here to the contary although there are many who have stated that:

1. The stiffer ride quality was not a problem for them.
2. They were willing to put up with the stiffer ride quailty because they like many of the other qualities of the RFTs (the main one of course being the fact that a flat will not disable the car)

CA

22,293 Posts
Also does using the run flat kits the cause the TMPS sensor needs to be replaces is this true.
It wasn't the case for me when I (unsucessfully) tried to seal a flat with the Conti Comfort Kit.

CA

· 2008 328i Black/Dakota
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live in NC and there is none or very rare snow fall, it is rains most of the time.
I am not a track person just looking for a Sproty every day diver, pot hole resistance would be plus and I am on local roads mostly.
Hope that helps.

22,293 Posts
I live in NC and there is none or very rare snow fall, it is rains most of the time.
I am not a track person just looking for a Sproty every day diver, pot hole resistance would be plus and I am on local roads mostly.
Hope that helps.
I am also on the market for new tires and am looking for Ultra High Performance All Seasons.

I just called tire rack and they are out of stock on two of my top choices, Pirelli P_Zero Nero and Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position. Not sure where to go from here.

CA

· Chicks dig Wagons!
4,881 Posts
CA, I just bought the Bridgestones a week ago. I went to the local Firestone dealer with the TireRack price and they matched it. I think they may still have the tire in stock.

BTW, I don't see the big deal about the 3GL tires. They ride OK, but I was also OK with the ride on the Kuhmo summer-onlys prior to this.

· Registered
3,050 Posts
I am also on the market for new tires and am looking for Ultra High Performance All Seasons.

I just called tire rack and they are out of stock on two of my top choices, Pirelli P_Zero Nero and Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position. Not sure where to go from here.

CA
Any reason not to consider the Conti DWS? After 20,000 miles, I'm enjoying mine more and more.

Tom

· 2020 Z4 M40i
4,639 Posts
Any reason not to consider the Conti DWS? After 20,000 miles, I'm enjoying mine more and more.

Tom
Have 10K on my DW's. Better ride including impacts, quieter with better traction then the Bridgestone Run Flats that came on the car.

· Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,219 Posts
I stated that there seems to be a consensus that RFTs have a less harsh ride than non-RFTs and I will stand by that statement.
My apologies; I will accept that limited statement. I was concerned that a new poster might be concluding after 3 posts that unwarranted conclusions had been made, not only in this thread but in others.

22,293 Posts

Tom
Thats what I ordered. Also had to order 4 new rims since I found out that 3 of the 4 on the car were bent.

Low profile tires and NYC are not a good match.

CA

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.