BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery on my 4th 3 series, 335is ,DCT,black,prem ,cold. Looking to the future what are the neegatives of replacing the run flats with standard tires. I always carry a spare on out of town trips.I have ZERO faith in run flats and where do you buy a tire on a Sunday night in the middle of nowhere. Is handling effected .Yes the side walls would be less stiff. Anyone with experience ,comments appreciated

·
Registered
84 Posts
I do not notice much difference in sidewall stiffness, and any difference which I do notice is all good. Better ride, much quieter regarding road noise, handling, steering, and traction seem the same. I am even getting better gas mileage (per the electronic gizmo on the dash) with the non-run flats. I am guessing that less unsprung weight per tire is contributing to some of this favorable experience.

The only downside is that I bought a full sized spare tire, spent some money that BMW did not have to do, and lost ssome trunk space. I still have the OEM run flats stored in a climate controlled and dark place in case I want to put thm back on when I trade the car. If I do that, I could recoup some of the extra money spent in the changeover.

I am like you in that I drive in rural areas primarily on weekends where BMW assist will not do me much good. Michelin has a new "promise" program that will send someone to change a flat tire for any tires bought since the first of March, 2011. Of course, you have to have a spare tire for that to work.

Hot Toddy

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I just took delivery on my 4th 3 series, 335is ,DCT,black,prem ,cold. Looking to the future what are the neegatives of replacing the run flats with standard tires. I always carry a spare on out of town trips.I have ZERO faith in run flats and where do you buy a tire on a Sunday night in the middle of nowhere. Is handling effected .Yes the side walls would be less stiff. Anyone with experience ,comments appreciated
Do a search ,this subject has been beaten to death. Good luck
cheers
vern

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just bought a 335is and the handling is so much better than my old 2008 335. I think some of that may be due to better rfts. I'm on 19's and these tires are great compared to the old car's 19's.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
There are no negatives in replacing the run-flats w/ with NRT's.

Throw a can of tire seal in the trunk and drive on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.