Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 1 inch tear in the first layer of the sidewall on my Pirelli P7 runflats. Thanks to their excellent protection, I didn't even know I had a problem until I saw it in the parking lot. I had driven at least 20 miles, maybe much longer, before noticing on Friday afternoon. 39,000 miles on the tires and they've held up very well.

I had a bit of a logistical nightmare in that none of the tire shops in Birmingham had the tires, and I have to be in Atlanta to teach a class on Tuesday.

I called (voice mail) and emailed the local BMW dealer and never got a response.

I finally decided on Friday night to have TireRack deliver replacements to Midtown Tire in Atlanta, near my second home there.

I was going to gamble and see if I could drive 150 miles to Atlanta yesterday (figured even if it failed and I got within 100 miles of Atlanta, my AAA Plus would flatbed it the rest of the way).

Anyway, got a little nervous about that. I went to an auto part store and they suggested I at least put some rubber cement in the gash and consider putting a patch on the exterior - the tire's obviously kaput anyway, so whatever I'm doing only has to last until Monday.

Well, lo and behold, seconds after I squirted some rubber cement in: HISSSSSSSSSSSS! The tire lost all air.

The 4 tires from Tire Rack are already paid for and already shipping to Midtown Tire in Atlanta.

So, I've got to get over there today.

I've found a used tire shop in Birmingham and they say they have some tires in my size (205/50/R17). I think my plan is to take the car over there and buy something cheap to last through tomorrow.

Are there any installation concerns or anything I need to tell them so that my tire pressure monitor isn't messed up when we put the new tires on? (I don't care if it works today.)

Obviously, with a non-matched tire, I plan to drive extra slow and perhaps not on interstates to the ATL.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Don't buy used tires. How about just buying one to replace the flat tire? It should last 150 miles to Atlanta. Or just throw them away when you get to Atlanta and replace them with the brand-new ones you already purchased?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I would do it, given the particular circumstances you've laid out. Not at all optimum, as you acknowledge, and use great care on that mismatched journey.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
You'll be out the price of a mismatched tire but ok for careful driving the 150 miles. You can always keep the mismatched tires for a spare after the new P7s are installed.

PS - gluing a sliced tire was a wacky solution!

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Uhhh***8230;. rental car?

Your situation is just one of several reasons why I have a hard requirement that all of our cars have a spare tire. I carry an aftermarket spare in my F10. I also did that in my E46 M3.

We balked at a E84 X1 because of the lack of a spare tire in 2014. We waited until 2016 the F48 X1 came out. But, Frau Putzer didn't like it, mainly because the seats were so small. She liked the F25 X3. But, the F25 didn't have a spare. So, we waited two more years for the G01 X3. Finally... a spare tire, a hole to put it in (under a raised cargo floor), and the no-cost option of non-RFT's. Not offering a spare on X3's delayed us buying a BMW for four years, about a half-life for our cars. Another way of looking at this is that BMW lost the sale of a half of a BMW because of not offering spares.

Here's my favorite BF thread of all time and what can happen when you don't have a spare, the sad tale of the $1400 flat tire...

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917185

If a car's not suitable for a road trip, I don't need it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts