BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone switched to the NRLT's tires on the 330i due to stiff ride and potholes tremors that the car suffers with these Brigestone runflats or is it the car's suspension at question here? Has anyone else tried a different brand of runflats instead of the OEM Bridestones and experienced a smoother ride? What is compromised by using NRFLT's instead of runflat tires?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
eww330i said:
Has anyone switched to the NRLT's tires on the 330i due to stiff ride and potholes tremors that the car suffers with these Brigestone runflats or is it the car's suspension at question here? Has anyone else tried a different brand of runflats instead of the OEM Bridestones and experienced a smoother ride? What is compromised by using NRFLT's instead of runflat tires?
Lot's have. just do a quick search and you'll find all that you seek...

I for one have no issue with the RFT's, other than the short life span.
(we've got the Potenza's). But, you pay, you play.... :cry:

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
javelina1 said:
Lot's have. just do a quick search and you'll find all that you seek...

I for one have no issue with the RFT's, other than the short life span.
(we've got the Potenza's). But, you pay, you play.... :cry:
What kind of mileage are you getting? The Bridgstone RF's on the 6 are getting about 30k miles.

To the OP, you should get a little smoother ride go to non run flats. Handling won't be compromised.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
chuck92103 said:
What kind of mileage are you getting? The Bridgstone RF's on the 6 are getting about 30k miles.

To the OP, you should get a little smoother ride go to non run flats. Handling won't be compromised.
Chuck, my bad. I meant what I've heard on the forum. The RFT's are very poor mileage tires. I've
only got 2,200 miles on the car. Though I check the air pressure regularly. and, am hoping I can
get 15K+ miles out of them.

I've no issue with the ride. We knew this was a performance ride. Of course, going from a 4x4 Chevy
Suburban to this, what a diff......:thumbup:

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
javelina1 said:
Chuck, my bad. I meant what I've heard on the forum. The RFT's are very poor mileage tires. I've
only got 2,200 miles on the car. Though I check the air pressure regularly. and, am hoping I can

I've no issue with the ride. We knew this was a performance ride. Of course, going from a 4x4 Chevy
You should be ok mileage wise. I think the early Dunlops that were recalled had premature wear issues.

·
Registered Drooler
428 Posts
No problem with runflats in terms of handling or bumps, even on new construction roads without a topcoat and manholes that stick up.

-Mike

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
I just switched to real tires today. My god what a difference. Every aspect of the car feels different and much better.

Better general ride quality
Exceptionally better handling on smooth pavement
Car's suspension handles undulations and road imperfections in corners without skipping/hopping
Acceleration feels better
Car's turn-in feels sharper

Honestly, the car feels as sharp as my old ZHP in terms of driver-feedback but it's far faster in the corners and rides better than my ZHP (and certainly better than my e90 with run flats).

This was the single best mod I could have ever snapped up. I went from hating my e90 to loving how the car hugs corners. I took a series of S curves marked at 25 tonight - the car whipped through as if it were connected to the road. Heaven.

Those of you who hate your RFTs on your e9x cars...replace them. Wow.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just switched to real tires today. My god what a difference. Every aspect of the car feels different and much better.

Better general ride quality
Exceptionally better handling on smooth pavement
Car's suspension handles undulations and road imperfections in corners without skipping/hopping
Acceleration feels better
Car's turn-in feels sharper

Honestly, the car feels as sharp as my old ZHP in terms of driver-feedback but it's far faster in the corners and rides better than my ZHP (and certainly better than my e90 with run flats).

This was the single best mod I could have ever snapped up. I went from hating my e90 to loving how the car hugs corners. I took a series of S curves marked at 25 tonight - the car whipped through as if it were connected to the road. Heaven.

Those of you who hate your RFTs on your e9x cars...replace them. Wow.
What did you replace them with?

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
What did you replace them with?
Just basic Kumho Ecstas. Less than $600 installed. Half the cost of RFTs, twice as much fun to drive.

This is my 4th set of Kumhos, third for a BMW, so I feel pretty comfy with that brand.

·
Registered
272 Posts

I have had over 16K miles on mine, and they are still doing great. When I do replace them eventually I will go for another set of RFT. They have saved me on two occassions, and to me the safety factor overweigh the ride comfort.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
But we have no room for a spare in the trunk. Do you keep a can of the tire filler spray in the trunk, just in case?
I was thinking about buying some. I probably will but in the end the spare's not nearly as important as a decent ride, good handling and actually enjoying the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts