BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Deutsche Transplant
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse me if there's a thread on this already, as I couldn't really figure out what exact search term I would use in this situation.

Anyway, I just got home a few minutes ago, pulled into the garage, got out, and something under the hood was definitely still running. Sounded like maybe a fan of some sort, possibly the alternator. Kinda weird. I backed out again, drove around the block, pulled back into the garage, powered down and got out, and silence this time.

Anyone know what happened or what that is? After owning my Altima I'm A. Not used to advanced automotive technology (lol) and B. Terrified of yet AGAIN coming out to a dead car battery in the morning.

Thanks...

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
The vehicle can have the water pump running for up to 16 minutes, if it believes it to be necessary. On a hot day, I will always pull in the garage and hear the fan running for a good 5-10 seconds after shutting the car off. It's perfectly normal. You may also hear a fan running in the trunk area of the car, which is believed to be the fan cooling radio-related electronics.

·
Become the Bull
883 Posts
It sounds like you've had a dead battery experience before so it might just be an electrical problem as you stated, alternator.

Otherwise its fairly normal for the car to sort of have a quick shutdown, were it turns off all the electronics, but this is only a couple of seconds. Some of the electronics do continue to run while the car is off, but they are minor and should NOT cause a dead battery. This would only cause a dead battery if you are storing the car or not driving it for at least 2-3 weeks.

GL with the situation, if you have a dead battery again take it to your SA and tell him the situation.:thumbup:

Edit: deleted short inference to turbo timers b/c u have 330i

·
Deutsche Transplant
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vehicle can have the water pump running for up to 16 minutes, if it believes it to be necessary. On a hot day, I will always pull in the garage and hear the fan running for a good 5-10 seconds after shutting the car off. It's perfectly normal. You may also hear a fan running in the trunk area of the car, which is believed to be the fan cooling radio-related electronics.
The weird part about this is the fact that it was cool out last night.

It sounds like you've had a dead battery experience before so it might just be an electrical problem as you stated, alternator.

Otherwise its fairly normal for the car to sort of have a quick shutdown, were it turns off all the electronics, but this is only a couple of seconds. Some of the electronics do continue to run while the car is off, but they are minor and should NOT cause a dead battery. This would only cause a dead battery if you are storing the car or not driving it for at least 2-3 weeks.
Not with this car, but yeah I have. I've had my car kill itself in the past, but everyone knows that Nissan uses terrible OEM batteries, so. I'm not really used to this car, so I guess I just got a little freaked out.

Thanks everyone.

·
driving a D around RTP
536 Posts
Does the 335 run something to cool the turbo if it is hot when you cut the ignition?
Not being a motor head, please educate me on the right name for that "something". Thanks.

·
GODSPD
2,249 Posts
Does the 335 run something to cool the turbo if it is hot when you cut the ignition?
Not being a motor head, please educate me on the right name for that "something". Thanks.
Yes, oil circulates out of the turbo to keep it from cooking after the car is turned off. It's usually called a turbo timer.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
It's normal for the auxiliary fan to continue running a little while (few minutes) after the car is shut down.

·
Registered
865 Posts
The N54's turbochargers are oil+water cooled. After the engine shut-off, the water (well, coolant to be precise) continues to circulate, thus ensuring proper cooling-down of the turbos.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts