BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 335D a couple weeks ago with ContiProContact RFT. I was out of town and had to get to a meeting first thing in the morning. I started the car on a very cold morning and the TPMS warning came on for the right front tire. Unfortunately, I did not have a tire pressure gauge for the car yet and could not be late, so I drove about 4 miles on the tire.

After the meeting, I went to measure the pressure and re-fill the tire if it was a little low. When I put gauge on, it didn't show any pressure. I started filling the tire and about 5 seconds later there was an audible click the gauge jumped to about 30-32 psi.

Due to the tire filling so quickly, and the audible click, I don't think the gauge was reading correctly at first (it was like the scale was snagged on something).

So, here are my questions:

1) At what loss of pressure does the TPMS give a warning?
2) How low of a pressure would damage a RFT?

Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing exactly what the pressure was in the tire for 4-5 miles. Any suggestions on what to do?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm thinking the TPMS throws a warning after a change of about 3 or 4 psi from the previous setting. It is not unusual for them to give the warning due to a cold weather change.

As far as what to do, If it is holding air, what more is there? If the TPMS warns at 3 or 4 psi change, then the tire could not have had zero pressure. Probably that Chinese gage you have . :D

I'd drive it and monitor the pressure for a week or so and see how it goes before worrying about it anymore.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.