Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you been running Shell Spec 1375.4 (non-LG6) in your ZF transmission?

Which transmission (19 or 24)?

How long has it been in there (miles/KM)?

Which brand of 1375.4?

Any troubles?

>>>Trying to avoid a debate on relative merits of LG6 vs 1375.4; just gathering facts on experiences.<<<<<

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
: popcorn: :)dunno:)

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Interesting: A BMW part number 83222220445, a 1375.4 Shell spec fluid approved by BMW for ZF transmissions. Alternative to ZF6, from ECS. Expensive at $31.

And the Febi 1375.4, at $12.

Given this and the NewTIS BMW spec for 1375.4 use in ZF's, pretty much says the the Shell spec is approved.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Have you been running Shell Spec 1375.4 (non-LG6) in your ZF transmission?

Which transmission (19 or 24)?

How long has it been in there (miles/KM)?

Which brand of 1375.4?

Any troubles?

>>>Trying to avoid a debate on relative merits of LG6 vs 1375.4; just gathering facts on experiences.<<<<<

Thanks!
Funny thing is that awhile ago I got 2009 550i with close to 200k mi which was traded in for a small amount towards a 3 series I was selling. 550i owners did the best it could maintain the car with some diy skills. They had the car since 40k mi and got rid of it at close to 200k mi. Turn out they didn't use ZF transmission fluid, so they instead they used Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid instead due to being Mercon SP being ASP15 classification. Which a newer Mercon interchangeable with SP on fords that use SP and the newer Mercon is interchangeable with MaxLife Multi-Vehicle. So that was there thinking and seems to work. They did do a flush to get all the ZF Fluid out and after afterwards just did changes. For around 156k it's been using MaxLife fluid for most of it's life with no transmission. I decided just to put Maxlife back in due to it seems to work, I didn't seem the point of putting ZF fluid back in. Due to the cars not worth much and needed some work, I decided to give it to a friend in need.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny thing is that awhile ago I got 2009 550i with close to 200k mi which was traded in for a small amount towards a 3 series I was selling. 550i owners did the best it could maintain the car with some diy skills. They had the car since 40k mi and got rid of it at close to 200k mi. Turn out they didn't use ZF transmission fluid, so they instead they used Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid instead due to being Mercon SP being ASP15 classification. Which a newer Mercon interchangeable with SP on fords that use SP and the newer Mercon is interchangeable with MaxLife Multi-Vehicle. So that was there thinking and seems to work. They did do a flush to get all the ZF Fluid out and after afterwards just did changes. For around 156k it's been using MaxLife fluid for most of it's life with no transmission. I decided just to put Maxlife back in due to it seems to work, I didn't seem the point of putting ZF fluid back in. Due to the cars not worth much and needed some work, I decided to give it to a friend in need.
Great info, thanks.

·
Registered
881 Posts
On the 2007 530xi with the 6HP19, I use Redline D4. No issues for over 50K miles. I flushed and completely replaced the original fluid when we acquired the vehicle at 62K miles and do a drain and fill every 30K miles. The Redline D4 is a fine fully synthetic fluid but a little too thick in viscosity vs spec. However, the 6HP19 shifts beautifully even in sub zero temps.

On the 2010 550i with the 6HP26, I gave Ravenol 6HP a try and I'm also very pleased with the results. The Ravenol meets spec and it is fully synthetic (PAO) compared to the ZF lifeguard 6 fluid which is semi synthetic. I only have 5K miles on the Ravenol but I've noticed a very noticeable shift improvement ever since I've replaced the fluid at 64K miles.

So far both work great and I will continue to use them both in our vehicles.

https://www.amazon.com/Ravenol-J1D2...F8&qid=1523803417&sr=1-4&keywords=ravenol+6HP

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Looks like a nice quality alternative to LG 6, but at over $85 per litre, I think I'll pass.
Not sure if you mean the Ravenol; it's $15 per liter as advertised at Amazon.

Also, the Ravenol is Shell spec. looks like a candidate as an alternative.

·
Registered
881 Posts

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,924 Posts
I've been running about 25% motomaster fluid for a year or two and the transmission runs great. Not sure if I'd replace it all, though... Opinions? Supposed to be mercon sp compatible... Or at least it was previously. Now it's mercon lv? Msds is from petro canada, gm spec 9986153, although whats in mine is mercon sp and probably not that spec. Conflicting information regarsing compatibility between sp and lv...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-multi-vehicle-low-viscosity-atf-0281525p.html

·
Registered
643 Posts
Know this is an old thread but I have been running mercon sp for a number of yrs now and have enough stock to do one more flush (sv is not enough similar in spec imho.)...so I bought whatever ford dealer had left a few yrs ago. Have about 100Kkms with Mercon SP in transmission all is good!

I spent a ton of time reading various atf specs and posts on various forums on alternatives to overpriced bmw fluid and became convinced it was safe to go for the more reasonable priced alternatives. When Hyundai, Ford and other cars with same ZF gears running perfectly well with their fluid I cannot see any reason to get fleeced by me bmw dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Know this is an old thread but I have been running mercon sp for a number of yrs now and have enough stock to do one more flush (sv is not enough similar in spec imho.)...so I bought whatever ford dealer had left a few yrs ago. Have about 100Kkms with Mercon SP in transmission all is good!

I spent a ton of time reading various atf specs and posts on various forums on alternatives to overpriced bmw fluid and became convinced it was safe to go for the more reasonable priced alternatives. When Hyundai, Ford and other cars with same ZF gears running perfectly well with their fluid I cannot see any reason to get fleeced by me bmw dealer.
I just bought a couple of jugs of Maxlife but haven't used it yet. According to their web site spec sheet, it meets the Shell standard. I am a firm believer in regular fluid changes - every 50k or so.

·
Registered
643 Posts
To expand on my earlier post that 100Kkms with Mercon SP has been flushed twice since due to my connector sleeve leaking and another time a leak from the pan gasket, my last flush was done last spring and the 60000 miles covers me for the last 7 yrs.

·
Registered
248 Posts
To expand on my earlier post that 100Kkms with Mercon SP has been flushed twice since due to my connector sleeve leaking and another time a leak from the pan gasket, my last flush was done last spring and the 60000 miles covers me for the last 7 yrs.
I currently have SP in the 2006. The only difference I could identify is that it's red and it stinks. The LG6 and Ravenol are both clear with very little odor. The car drives like a new one now.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,502 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts