Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody,

I'm having issues with my 2005 x5 4.4i BMW. When I start it, the engine runs rough with very little throttle response and then dies after a minute or so while idling. The weird thing is once the car battery goes dead after a couple of days and I jump it. The truck runs smoothly as if nothing happened, but after a couple of days, I'll jump in it to drive, and it starts back up it runs rough with very little throttle response and then dies again. Has anyone experienced this?

I forgot to add that i get smoke coming from the enigine bay when it runs rough (maybe becuase the misfires). I replace the throttle body, and vucuum pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the response

Thanks for the response, and yup! the CELis on

Please see below

2D03
Raw code: 2D03
ECU: 12
Status: Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request
============2==============
2A6B
Raw code: 2A6B
Status: Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
============3==============
2CEF
Raw code: 2CEF
Status: Pending fault present, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
============4==============
2CF1
Raw code: 2CF1
Status: Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
============5==============
2A88
Raw code: 2A88
Status: Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
============6==============
2A86
Raw code: 2A86
Status: Test conditions are met, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
============7==============
2E36
Raw code: 2E36
Status: Test conditions are met, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
============8==============
2E35
Raw code: 2E35
============9==============
2E37
Raw code: 2E37
============10==============
2E34
Raw code: 2E34
============11==============
2A58
Raw code: 2A58
Status: Test conditions are met, Validated and stored in non volatile memory
============12==============
2A19
Raw code: 2A19
============13==============
2DEB
Raw code: 2DEB
Status: Test conditions are met, Validated and stored in non volatile memory
============14==============
P1062
Raw code: 1062
OBDII: Valvetronics Power Limitation
============15==============
P2103
Raw code: 2103
OBDII: Throttle actuator control (TAC) motor - circuit high
BMW: Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit High
============16==============
P1637
Raw code: 1637
OBDII: Can Link ECM/ABSCM Circuit / Network Malfunction
BMW: Throttle Valve Position Control; Control Deviation
============17==============
P0014
Raw code: 0014
OBDII: Camshaft position (CMP) actuator, exhaust/right/rear, bank 1 - timing over-advanced/system performance
BMW: "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance
============18==============
P0023
Raw code: 0023
OBDII: Camshaft position (CMP) actuator, exhaust/right/rear, bank 2 - circuit malfunction
BMW: "B" Camshaft Position - Actuator Circuit
============19==============
P0207
Raw code: 0207
OBDII: Injector 7 - circuit malfunction
BMW: Injector Circuit/Open - Cylinder 7
============20==============
P0206
Raw code: 0206
OBDII: Injector 6 - circuit malfunction
BMW: Injector Circuit/Open - Cylinder 6
============21==============
P0208
Raw code: 0208
OBDII: Injector 8 - circuit malfunction
BMW: Injector Circuit/Open - Cylinder 8
============22==============
P0205
Raw code: 0205
OBDII: Injector 5 - circuit malfunction
BMW: Injector Circuit/Open - Cylinder 5
============23==============
P0444
Raw code: 0444
OBDII: Evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge valve - open circuit
BMW: Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit Open
============24==============
P2103
Raw code: 2103
OBDII: Throttle actuator control (TAC) motor - circuit high
BMW: Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit High
============25==============
P1637
============26==============
P0023
Raw code: 0023
OBDII: Camshaft position (CMP) actuator, exhaust/right/rear, bank 2 - circuit malfunction
BMW: "B" Camshaft Position - Actuator Circuit
============27==============
P0207
============28==============
P0206
Raw code: 0206
OBDII: Injector 6 - circuit malfunction
BMW: Injector Circuit/Open - Cylinder 6
============29==============
P0208
============30==============
P0205
============31==============
P0444

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK...there is A LOT going on here. First, clear all these codes. Next, follow the Throttle Body Reset. Turn key to ACC (position 2 but dont start it), press accelerator pedal all the way to the floor (yes, past the kick down)...hold it there for AT LEAST 30 SECONDS. Once done, release gas pedal, turn key to off and then start car as normal. Then let's see how it behaves and what codes it tosses at ya!

·
Registered
20 Posts
P.S....did you check all your electrical connections? The Evaporator Purge Valve open circuit is usually indicative of a loose connector or a failed purge valve. That is an EASY fix. Let's see what else you have after this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll Check

Thanks for the quick response. I'll check first thing in the AM and send an update.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Really check the throttle body electrical connections to your harness. It sure seems like that is where you have an issue based on the nature of all these codes re: voltages the like. That evap sensor will set your CEL with OBD2 of P044 (I think)...I unplugged and replugged mine and all was well there, If that returns, grab a new one one and install it. Takes about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are all these codes coming from your vehicle... OK..
I had a similar problem with my car...
Check valve cover gaskets as they have a tendancy to leak on the x5...
And replace them
Mayby causing oil leak burning smell..
I would personally also replace cam shaft sensors... And check the air intake hoses...
Clean the maf sensor... At the same time..
Sounds like a lot to do.. But actually takes about one hour tops to do the lot...
This should fix the problem...
Don't go throwing sprays and chemicals at the engine... Don't really work..
Otherwise manufacturers would recommend it...
Do things the correct way

·
Registered
20 Posts
All those codes relate to sensor operations failing or no voltage/incorrect voltage. As he had the harness disconnected for his repairs it's likely a bad connection and since he replace the throttle body it also likely needs to have the throttle adaptations reset as well. The spray is a proper way to clean and protect our connectors on our aging E53s and I highly recommend it over the suggested high capacitance gel that performance rebuilders use (it's great but very very pricey).

Hopefully, it's just a harness issue for this X5 and not a bad replacement throttle body but we shall see when he posts what codes it throws his way.

He states it runs well again after the battery dies and is charged up and then starts acting up. I'm gong to assume for the moment he's running in "open loop" due to these electrical anomalies affecting sensor data. Once it has a good drive cycle it appears to go back to it's old behavior so there is a good clue. It's also possible he has an issue with the DME but we can't properly determine that as electrical is still the obvious culprit based on what we know.

I keep going to electrical connections and that is also supported by the fault code that states there is a networking problem. It says that the DME can't speak to the ABS/DSC unit over the CANBUS. Now if all these connections are secure, then there is a very significant possibility the DME has been damaged. I didn't ask if he disconnected the battery before his repair. I'm hoping he didn't short something and zap his DME. That is fixable but as you know, it's a PITA as you have to recode if you replace unless you send it out for a repair and reinstall.

He will also have to see why his X5 is draining his battery..lord knows the gremlins that come out when voltages are not within tolerance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks!

So I went ahead and did the rthrottle body reset and it ran fine with no codes thrown after driving it to work and back. I ordered the spray and will perform the cleaning as soon as the spray comes in from amazon (the auto store didn't have any). Valve cover gaskets, and the sensors are something that I'll replace becuase I know the wife was complaining about the burnt oil smell in the car when she drives, and sensors seem to be a good investment seeing my BMW x5 4.4i has 223,000 miles and I never replaced them. The owner of the vechelice I got it from at 97,000 never replaced anything as it was still running strong. I hope to get it back to that state because I really love this truck. Also, I beleive there's a leak in the air suspension which causes the compressor to level out the car, so if the car sits for more than 2 days it goes dead. Thats the next thing on the list. It's become more of a project car now lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New Codes

So I went to the store and got the CEL. I pulled the codes and got this

29F4
Raw code: 29F4
Status: Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
============2==============
2A1B
Raw code: 2A1B
Status: Pending fault present, Validated and stored in non volatile memory
============3==============
2D03
Raw code: 2D03
============4==============
P0420
Raw code: 0420
OBDII: Catalytic converter system, bank 1 - efficiency below threshold
BMW: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold
============5==============
P0420

I'm in the process of buying some O2 sensors first and see if that fixes the issue, but don't think this is why i had the early issues. I believe i'm getting this reading/code now because it has been running crappy. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Go ahead and change the o2 sensors but then clear the codes, put it through a full drive cycle of about 100 miles and then check and clear again. As for the air suspension, do you have INPA on a laptop or a handheld diagnostic tool such as a Foxwell scanner? If so, you can interrogate the ride height system and also perform diagnostics on it. Are you hearing the compressor run a lot (in the trunk below the spare tire)? Usually if it over runs it all set a warning message of Self Leveling Susp Inactive. The 30A fuse for the compressor is on the fuse block in the rear cargo area behind the right side access panel. I think it's #87 and is a green fuse closest to the tailgate. Go ahead and pull it to shut down the compressor to see if that is your drain. One word of caution is that you might find your X5 sitting "oddly" like full down in the rear, sitting lopsided, etc. Then you need to look for air leaks. If you have to change the air springs, consider doing them in pairs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Rough

Thanks for the informtion about the software, I'm looking for the cord now so I can purchase it in order to connect to my laptop. It started the cycle again. it ran rough and then shut off after starting it. So I'm going to run the codes and see what pops up. I'm still awaiting the other parts to come in, but they should be here by Tuesday. As soon as I get the codes, I'll make sure I post them. My hope is it's an easy fix and not my ECU. But Saturday while driving I notice it was eating gas big time, like really bad. in 5miles I used a quarter of the tank. Well, I'll be headed out to check the codes as soon as I get these kids up and going. Thanks!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does it run rough and then stall? If so, grab a can of Mass Airflow Sensor cleaner and clean the heck out of your MAF sensor.

If you're going to buy a K+DCAN cable for your windows machine to talk to your E53 (and I highly recommend it) go to Bimmergeeks and download BMW Tools which includes INPA (diagnostic software), NCSExpert (coding software), Coding Tool (easy coding tool), WinKFP software updater, and a few other things. Also install Rheingold (newer version of diagnostics). I also have ISTA-D and ISTA-P installed as well. I sometimes switch between them to see if I get any other clues as to issues when it's not so clear cut.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New codes

After running the codes, here's what I got

P1637
============14==============
P0207
============15==============
P0208
============16==============
P0205
============17==============
P0444
============18==============
P0420
============19==============
P0420

But the one that sticks out the most and the first to pop up is

P1637

The spray came in today, and I'll be cleaning all the connection tomorrow morning and see what happens. I'm still awaiting the parts to come in

·
Registered
20 Posts
The CAN link message is telling you that your Engine Control Module is not able to communicate with your ABS Control Module. Do you have any DSC/Brake lights on? If not, you might have to seriously start looking at the ECU. There are plenty of rebuilders out there so you won't have to recode unless you have to have it replaced. Coding a module isn't hard with a K+DCAN cable and software.

https://siaelec.com/product/bmw-x5-ecm-ecu-dme-repair-return/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts