BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out playing after going out with friends today.

Whee! It's fun to have the response of a summer tire with worse traction than contitouring contacts. Power oversteer is something I very rarely get to play with. :D

G

·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Was out playing after going out with friends today.

Whee! It's fun to have the response of a summer tire with worse traction than contitouring contacts. Power oversteer is something I very rarely get to play with. :D
I think you'd believe me when I say I can kick my tail out at will right now. It's kind of unnerving.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: S-03s are a real blast in sub-freezing weather.

TD said:
I think you'd believe me when I say I can kick my tail out at will right now. It's kind of unnerving.
In an M3 I'd be unnerved. In my car, countersteering is a rare treat. ;) (And it still takes a hard 90 degree turn at high revs in first or second gear to do it.)

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I can only imagine the fun with AWD and such low grip levels. With my snows and RWD I have to take extra care to avoid coming ALL the way around. Especially with one rear wheel spinning. :cry:

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mystikal said:
I can only imagine the fun with AWD and such low grip levels. With my snows and RWD I have to take extra care to avoid coming ALL the way around. Especially with one rear wheel spinning. :cry:
My seat vibrates in the corners. :p I wish I had one wheel spinning. :(

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
My seat vibrates in the corners. :p I wish I had one wheel spinning. :(
Trust me, it's annoying as hell. I have literally had the inside wheel spinning for 100ft after a turn in 2nd. The car barely accelerates. This is in the cold, of course.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mystikal said:
Trust me, it's annoying as hell. I have literally had the inside wheel spinning for 100ft after a turn in 2nd. The car barely accelerates. This is in the cold, of course.
I'd just like to be able to turn ADB off. :p In sharp corners under power, the car feels and sounds like a vibrating bed. :mad:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: S-03s are a real blast in sub-freezing weather.

Nick325xiT 5spd said:
In an M3 I'd be unnerved. In my car, countersteering is a rare treat. ;) (And it still takes a hard 90 degree turn at high revs in first or second gear to do it.)
:lmao:

Thankfully, I can still get a bit of power oversteer occasionally, but it does push too much.

With a bit more front bite, I the car would be quite a bit more balanced.

Speaking of 90, that is the fastest that I have had to correct for oversteer in my car. Kinda hairly :yikes:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I'd just like to be able to turn ADB off. :p In sharp corners under power, the car feels and sounds like a vibrating bed. :mad:
:lmao: :lmao:

Pull the fuse again :p

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nate328Ci said:
:lmao: :lmao:

Pull the fuse again :p
Last time I did that, there were places on my tires where the tread depth was 50% of that of the rest of the tire. :p Too expensive.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Last time I did that, there were places on my tires where the tread depth was 50% of that of the rest of the tire. :p Too expensive.
I think you might need to work on your threshold braking :p

Can't you feel a single wheel lock up? I know I can sense it when the ABS is working one wheel, but I haven't had to feel one wheel lock w/o ABS since the E28 533i. I never ruined any tires :p

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nate328Ci said:
I think you might need to work on your threshold braking :p

Can't you feel a single wheel lock up? I know I can sense it when the ABS is working one wheel, but I haven't had to feel one wheel lock w/o ABS since the E28 533i. I never ruined any tires :p
I can feel it... But if I'm, say, going into the stopbox (especially when there's a guy standing at the end), I'm not going to let up on the brakes just because a rear wheel has locked up. :p

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I can feel it... But if I'm, say, going into the stopbox (especially when there's a guy standing at the end), I'm not going to let up on the brakes just because a rear wheel has locked up. :p
How do you lock a rear wheel on a car with such heavy front bias?

Don't be such a puss, many cars are out there sans-ABS :flipoff:

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nate328Ci said:
How do you lock a rear wheel on a car with such heavy front bias?

Lots and lots of brake dive. :p

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Lots and lots of brake dive. :p
Still, you shouldn't be locking a rear wheel...

And, yes, I have seen the braking pic in your sig. Not too great :eek:

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Out of curiosity, how heavy is the braking bias?

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
nate328Ci said:
Nick, I think that you would do yourself a world of good by picking up a cheap, older car with handling "character" and no electronic nannies...well, so long as you didn't hurt yourself with it. :p Something like an E30 w/o ABS (preferably a 1984 318i), a mid 80's Mustang or F Body with a 302 or 305 (respectively) or an '85 Corvette (final year w/o ABS) would be great teaching tools. There are others...

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nick, I think that you would do yourself a world of good by picking up a cheap, older car with handling "character" and no electronic nannies...well, so long as you didn't hurt yourself with it. :p Something like an E30 w/o ABS (preferably a 1984 318i), a mid 80's Mustang or F Body with a 302 or 305 (respectively) or an '85 Corvette (final year w/o ABS) would be great teaching tools. There are others...
Some day I'll get myself an old Miata. :p

Edit: I suspect, though, that most cars without ABS are substantially easier to prevent from locking than our current generation Bimmers.

·
Old Timer
1,002 Posts
'have renewed respect for those CH95's

the ones that i hate in summer?

they're quite decent in the slush and snow.

'was pleasantly surprised. they are far better than the brig. RE92's on the rexy, which are horrible in any weather condition.

have played with S03's in the slush. those tires float and it was like being a cali-boy surfer in a car.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts