BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
in HIS hands :)
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello, my blown brethren! all blower mfrs welcome, of course! love to hear how your long term s/c'd engines have held up...especially those of you who really beat the daylights out of your rides! i'm really interested in how our cars' components are holding up, or have been adversely affected. (ps - got this also on another board. please respond once only.)

here's a template:

year & model:
body style:
transmission:
s/c brand:
major mods with s/c install:
month/year when s/c'd:
mileage when s/c'd:
current mileage:
mpg:
extra maintenance:
s/c direct issues:
s/c related issues:
driving style:
comments:

i'll start:

year & model: 2003 540i
body style: wagon!
transmission: 5-speed auto
s/c brand: dinan
major mods with s/c install: tranny software; 3.45 lsd
month/year when s/c'd: may, 2006
mileage when s/c'd: 30000
current mileage: 74000 as of oct, 2009
mpg: city, 15; hwy, 23 (that's with some paddleshifting 95% of the time), & 8 mpg when driving in some backroads...
extra maintenance: oil change every 3 months
s/c direct issues: belt was replaced around 65k miles; car is very nose-heavy - was told the install added a good 100 lbs, and with the rear lightened by at least 50 -70 lbs with the lightweight dinan exhaust...
s/c related issues: bad mpg? :rofl:
driving style: that i have the smg paddleshifting wheel has made me more of an aggressive driver, not in recklessness, but in normally shifting at higher points. car is not beaten up, but does see spirited driving in bursts, shifting at close to the 6250 redline. as i drive, it is fun to slow down and then give it some gas to feel the pull, and listen to the exhaust.
comments: thank God it has been issue-free. it's been on 5 or 6 long distance trips, as in socal to sf, vegas, morgan hill, etc. it's been a literal blast. would i do it again? hmmm - it's a hard call. had i been looking for a sedan, i would have gone the e39 m5 route. it was not so much of necessarily wanting the uniqueness of a blown engine, but turned out to be more of a 'necessity.' yes, a strange word to use, but it was the closest approximation to an m5 wagon. definitely NOT cost-efficient, which i knew full well going in. admittedly not one of my wisest financial endeavors...

next? :)

·
Just a Gigolo
585 Posts
You know me Jack, I always drive in the slow lane around 15 miles UNDER the speedlimit!

·
Registered
323 Posts
hello, my blown brethren! all blower mfrs welcome, of course! love to hear how your long term s/c'd engines have held up...especially those of you who really beat the daylights out of your rides! i'm really interested in how our cars' components are holding up, or have been adversely affected. (ps - got this also on another board. please respond once only.)

here's a template:

year & model:
body style:
transmission:
s/c brand:
major mods with s/c install:
month/year when s/c'd:
mileage when s/c'd:
current mileage:
mpg:
extra maintenance:
s/c direct issues:
s/c related issues:
driving style:
comments:

i'll start:

year & model: 2003 540i
body style: wagon!
transmission: 5-speed auto
s/c brand: dinan
major mods with s/c install: tranny software; 3.45 lsd
month/year when s/c'd: may, 2006
mileage when s/c'd: 30000
current mileage: 74000 as of oct, 2009
mpg: city, 15; hwy, 23 (that's with some paddleshifting 95% of the time), & 8 mpg when driving in some backroads...
extra maintenance: oil change every 3 months
s/c direct issues: belt was replaced around 65k miles; car is very nose-heavy - was told the install added a good 100 lbs, and with the rear lightened by at least 50 -70 lbs with the lightweight dinan exhaust...
s/c related issues: bad mpg? :rofl:
driving style: that i have the smg paddleshifting wheel has made me more of an aggressive driver, not in recklessness, but in normally shifting at higher points. car is not beaten up, but does see spirited driving in bursts, shifting at close to the 6250 redline. as i drive, it is fun to slow down and then give it some gas to feel the pull, and listen to the exhaust.
comments: thank God it has been issue-free. it's been on 5 or 6 long distance trips, as in socal to sf, vegas, morgan hill, etc. it's been a literal blast. would i do it again? hmmm - it's a hard call. had i been looking for a sedan, i would have gone the e39 m5 route. it was not so much of necessarily wanting the uniqueness of a blown engine, but turned out to be more of a 'necessity.' yes, a strange word to use, but it was the closest approximation to an m5 wagon. definitely NOT cost-efficient, which i knew full well going in. admittedly not one of my wisest financial endeavors...

next? :)
By saying that you had no problems...you just jinxed it. Have fun with whatever problem arises :thumbup::p

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,579 Posts
year & model: 2000 540
body style: sedan
transmission: 6 speed manny tranny
s/c brand: ESS
major mods with s/c install: Let's just say... Yes.
month/year when s/c'd: 01/06
mileage when s/c'd: ~45K:dunno:
current mileage: 55K
mpg: :dunno: I fill it when empty
extra maintenance: belts, oil,
s/c direct issues: SC intake reworked in 08
s/c related issues: increased oil consumption
driving style: aggressive
comments: The completion of six years worth of cosmetic and performance mods. There's still more I want to do, but I still get that stupid grin every time I drive it.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Too many catagories that have little meeting.

·
in HIS hands :)
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know me Jack, I always drive in the slow lane around 15 miles UNDER the speedlimit!
:rofl: april fool's???

nike001 - well, somehow it's definitely pay to play. perhaps my tranny at some point? i've already asked around what it would cost - i think a rebuilt one with labor is around 4k...:dunno:

prop - THANKS! :thumbup:

franka said:
Too many catagories that have little meeting.
sure - i've never admitted to being an automotive genius, and from your many knowledgeable posts your sagacity runs circles around my puny mechanical brain. so - have at it - redo that questionnaire to make it more meaningful, and not just to the technically astute. :thumbup: there are happy idiots like me around the board. :rofl:

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts