Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was heading down 128 southbound yesterday around 1pm, and came up behind an Audi S4. He was stuck behind a truck. The lanes opened up and he zipped around. I followed. He looked in his mirror, saw me - and hit the gas, hard. What happened next surprised me. I expected this car to smoke me - and while he opened up a decent lead initially, my 325 was able to match his acceleration and speed. He never got more than 10 car lengths ahead of me (and, um, we were going a tad fast). After about 3/4 a mile of this, we both backed off. Traffic was very light, and wide open in the section we were on. So, it was a brief straight line sprint. I pulled up next to the guy and he just looked over at me, looking frustrated.

But I always shake my head when people post the 325 vs 330 threads and ***** about the 325 "being lame", etc, etc, etc. I don't care what anyone says - above 3500, this car screams.

Either that, or I'm just kidding myself about the S4 :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
I don't want to be the one to burst your bubble, but I've driven 2 different S4's and they are F-16's on wheels.

Maybe you encountered a really lame driver:dunno:

Or maybe he stole badges from an S4:dunno:

I even concidered buying one, but decided I valued my driver's license more:D

Or maybe because you two didn't start from a standstill:dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
I agree completely.

The S4 is a very fast car.

Probably a lame driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DougDogs said:
I don't want to be the one to burst your bubble, but I've driven 2 different S4's and they are F-16's on wheels.

Maybe you encountered a really lame driver:dunno:

Or maybe he stole badges from an S4:dunno:

I even concidered buying one, but decided I valued my driver's license more:D

Or maybe because you two didn't start from a standstill:dunno:
You could say it was a running start - from about 70mph. I have no doubt that off the line, the S4 would just be gone. He could have been a lame driver too, but considering the speed he was willing to go up to...not likely :yikes:
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
Maybe he was toying with you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,869 Posts
An S4 should be able to out run a 325 though it is not an "F-16 on wheels". It's about the same as a 330 with softer suspension and bad brakes. We have 2 instructors that jumped from bimmers to the S4. The first thing they dropped was the crappy brakes and then modded the suspension. A good driver in a 330 can keep right with them.

I have to agree with Geomax, the 325 IS a very underrated car. I know Vince and I discussed this when I was in Cali. and he agreed. A good driver in a 325 will suprise you.

My .02,
Haus
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
It is a fast car. I've driven it once, and the turbo rush is exciting:) . However, the gearbox I don't like. Too notchy and vague feeling, and 1st-2nd is very stiff. It really has to be compared with a 3.0. I'd still choose the 3.0:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
Doug, my F-16 comment was only refering to off the line starts. If you slide the clutch a little to get the turbo(s) up quick, and then wack 2nd gear, the S4 can really take off quick. (stock clutch and trans probably won't take too much of this, but, my only experinces were with test drives) I agree completely about the suspension and handling, the S4 lacks the feeling of control and feedback that you get from the 330ic

Plus, we all know that it's really about the skills of the driver, more than what equipment is being run.:D

Not trying to start flame war...just thought I should clarify my first post :) Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nate328Ci said:
umm...10 car lengths is a HUGE lead :dunno:
Thats true. We started out with him about 6 lengths ahead. So, when he decided to hit the gas, he got a jump on me. I would never say that a 325 could beat an S4. The S4 clearly has more power and torque. I had to drive at WOT to keep pace with him. And thats my point - at least the 325 could keep up and not get completely ditched. Sorta like "the little engine that could" :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,487 Posts
in_d_haus said:
An S4 should be able to out run a 325 though it is not an "F-16 on wheels". It's about the same as a 330 with softer suspension and bad brakes. We have 2 instructors that jumped from bimmers to the S4. The first thing they dropped was the crappy brakes and then modded the suspension. A good driver in a 330 can keep right with them.

I have to agree with Geomax, the 325 IS a very underrated car. I know Vince and I discussed this when I was in Cali. and he agreed. A good driver in a 325 will suprise you.

My .02,
Haus
I have to disagree Haus... You gotta remember that an S4 outperforms an E36 M3. Sure, I agree that it may not handle as well as an E36 M3, but the S4 does outperform it. So, I find it hard to believe that a 330 will keep up with it...

I agree with you on the whole 325 thing. :thumb: I usually take mine on trips to the Keys and I'm always pleased with its performance. :D
 

·
Double Bimmers
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
ALEX325i said:


I have to disagree Haus... You gotta remember that an S4 outperforms an E36 M3. Sure, I agree that it may not handle as well as an E36 M3, but the S4 does outperform it. So, I find it hard to believe that a 330 will keep up with it...

I agree with you on the whole 325 thing. :thumb: I usually take mine on trips to the Keys and I'm always pleased with its performance. :D
The S4 is in the same SCCA class (D) as 6-cyl non-M 3-series, because on the track it has proved to perform about equal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,869 Posts
DougDogs said:

Not trying to start flame war...just thought I should clarify my first post :) Doug
and I didn't mean my comment to be a flame either.
It's a fast car but I didn't quite consoder it that fast. As you explain it you are correct, she will come off the line fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,869 Posts
ALEX325i said:


I have to disagree Haus... You gotta remember that an S4 outperforms an E36 M3. Sure, I agree that it may not handle as well as an E36 M3, but the S4 does outperform it. So, I find it hard to believe that a 330 will keep up with it...

Ya think Alex? My experience with the S4 is only on a track with a 1/2 mile straight and a bunch of corners. Maybe on a freeway it would be a cruise missle. I can keep up with them through the twisties but they walk on me out of the last turn and through the straight... THAT'S why I'm getting the M! They won't do that again! :D :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,487 Posts
in_d_haus said:


Ya think Alex? My experience with the S4 is only on a track with a 1/2 mile straight and a bunch of corners. Maybe on a freeway it would be a cruise missle. I can keep up with them through the twisties but they walk on me out of the last turn and through the straight... THAT'S why I'm getting the M! They won't do that again! :D :thumb:
Well, at least not until the new S4 comes out... :yikes: Let's hope our machines don't get outperformed this time around... :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
S4 Vs 325

I have driven both extensively and have 2002 325i on order, BUT the S4 will absolutely cream the 325 in a straight line - no contest. Either the guy wasn't trying too hard or it was a rebadged A4. It's a different story in the twisties however as others have said.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top