BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 2000 ///M Roadster

I would like to switch the 5-speed stock Transmission to a 6-speed. I would also like to put in a LSD (Limited Slip Differential). I also have noticed how stiff it is on the ///M Roadster when shifting, extreemly sporty feel. I dont know exactly what i need to getjust a little bit more of a luxury feel. (clutch or something)

So my questions: What exactly do i need to be looking for? Will a 6-Speed from another model work? Any suggestions on rear diff's and brands? What can be done to make it a more luxury feel on the shifting? Also, if you know any locations where to purchase said items, it would be highly appreciated. (I'm in Salt Lake City, Utah, if there is a local place to pick up the trans.)

I don't plan on supercharging it or anything, but i do plan to put minor boost mods:
Conforti Software
Conforti Cold air Intake
Euro Intake Assembly

I thought i would mention that in case a heavier duty brand would be required for clutch or diff.

Thanks!
2000 ///M Roadster S52

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You already have an LSD...

Not sure on the 6-sp change.

See the recent posting about shift pins that may be the cause of your shift problems. Also search for CDV delete - that will help the clutch feel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have had two types of 6 speeds the euro (evo) and I currently have the e46 M3 6 speed. I can tell you that the zf 5 speed is a much nicer tranny IMHO. Its a much smoother shift and its a quiter shift. Both trannies had very low miles and were quite notchy, clunky, and had alot of mechanical noise during shifts. Pair the 6 speed up with a LTW fly and it becomes even more annoying. Out of all the mods I have done I most regret the 6speed conversion and my clutch/fly upgrade. Others have had better results but I have read alot of forum posts pertainig to these trannies with MANY having the same complaints.

BTW both trannies have NO INTERNAL PARTS AVAILABLE FOR A REBUILD!!! The ZF 5 does.

JMC

My set up:
e46 M3 6 speed.
UUC steel moderate LTW fly (Supposed to be quite...TOTAL BS)
UUC Ultra smooth ceramic clutch (getting better but not as smooth as stock, but I need it for the power)
CDV delete
Diff stock until further notice

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Do a search. LOTS of info about improving the shifting. Replacing shift bushings, short shifters, etc.

Also several threads on people doing the 6 speed conversion.

YOu have a 3.23 ratio LSD already.

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
I am running the EVO 6 speed. Its good stuff. Running it with a 3.73 and its perfect. Just like it should be. If you go with the E46 M3 or the E46 330 6 speed will bolt right up. If you get those you have to use the respective clutch/flywheel that goes with those transmissions. I have no complaints on my transmission. I have brought in about 10 of them for other people. Too much work and no reward to do it again. So go for it if you want. It will cost you around $4000 to have it done. I can loan you a driveshaft for a deposit if you like. Good luck. I am driving two S54 coupes back to back today. One with 6 speed, one without. I prefer the 6 speed 1000%. Both have 3.73s in them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts