BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, after two months of being in the body shop, I finally got my car back. It's such a great car, I instantly gave up all plans of buying a new car. I've been driving a rental CX7 and a friend's STi, and they're both terrible replacements for the old M Coupe.

To the point, my car has 101k miles on it, and over the last few years, I've noticed that cruising oil temps have been creeping higher, probably around 240 now, with the a/c on, cruising at around 80-85 steady. If the air's off, it's back towards the mid point of the guage, but when it gets hotter down here, temps will get high even with the a/c off. Short of an oil cooler (which I certainly wouldn't mind doing) is there anything I should check or replace to alleviate this situation?

Thanks!
Ben

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Since you're in a relatively hot climate, I think if it were me, I'd (plan to) do a few things that will collectively reduce engine temperatures.

S-54 radiator and oil cooler would be a priority, as would the Stewart waterpump. Good time to replace the thermostat and swap for an aluminum T'stat housing.

If you're noticing these temps creep up, your cooling system in general must be due for an overhaul. In my mind, that would include a good block flushing too. I'd run a gallon of white vinegar mixed with distilled water (drive around the block a few times) drain and flush with more distilled water. Do this while your old radiator is still in situ.

Call Max at oembimmerparts (sponsor here) and see what parts he can get for you. I'm certain he can beat the dealer's price on the radiator by a couple hundred...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Randy,

I did change to the Stewart waterpump, and did a flush, but will take your advice on the other bits, the car needs some love. Thanks!

I did skip the aluminum housing as I seem to recall some QC issues with it years ago (that have probably been resolved since then).

Ben

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Randy, stock radiator or Zionsville?
Stock.

A few years ago in a forced induction thread, someone replaced their OEM (E-46 M3?) radiator with a Zionsville and started getting overheating problems. Put the OEM back in and problems solved.

The radiator used in the 01-02 M Rdstrs is more efficient that the 98-00 versions (3-pass versus 2-pass?).

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
Stock.

A few years ago in a forced induction thread, someone replaced their OEM (E-46 M3?) radiator with a Zionsville and started getting overheating problems. Put the OEM back in and problems solved.

The radiator used in the 01-02 M Rdstrs is more efficient that the 98-00 versions (3-pass versus 2-pass?).
I hadn't heard that. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.