BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the oil change interval is on a S54 M Roady based on the service lights? In other words how many miles between oil changes. Thanks.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
madhouse said:
Does anyone know what the oil change interval is on a S54 M Roady based on the service lights? In other words how many miles between oil changes. Thanks.
~12 to 15K.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thanks Ron. I don't drive the car much so I think I will change it once a year or about 1200mi. 12-15K sounds way too high.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
madhouse said:
Wow, thanks Ron. I don't drive the car much so I think I will change it once a year or about 1200mi. 12-15K sounds way too high.
I average 8K a year miles wise and change the oil every 4500.
BMW use to say once a year but I think now they are saying every two.

·
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor
1,687 Posts
Based on "Total Base Number" oil tests and city stop/go driving, 8,000 miles over 9 months was close to the edge on the oil additives.

At least for stop/go city drivers, Ron's 4,500 mile cycle is a reasonable level. The 8,000 was further than I would want to go again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Phrider, Which oil did you use?

I've talked to several guys who are tracking their S54s and running 15W50 or 20W50 synthetics and getting great test results from blackstone labs. They are also dumping the oil between track weekends and leaving it in between weekend sessions, averaging about 6K between changes...

Interesting to know...
Mike

·
1,687 Posts
Mikelly said:
Phrider, Which oil did you use?

I've talked to several guys who are tracking their S54s and running 15W50 or 20W50 synthetics and getting great test results from blackstone labs. They are also dumping the oil between track weekends and leaving it in between weekend sessions, averaging about 6K between changes...

Interesting to know...
Mike
If you use the BMW Castrol TWS 10W60, you get the 100,000 mile 6 year engine warranty on our early S54 engines. If you don't, you may lose this warranty if the engine develops the bearing problem common in the early S54 engines.

In short, I wouldn't dare using anything but TWS 10W60.

·
1,687 Posts
Without changing the oil, I ran a series of three tests:

11/28/2005: 4700 miles on oil, TBN of 3.0
01/19/2006: 5383 miles on oil, TBN of 1.9
06/04/2006: 8300 miles on oil, TBN of 1.6 (0.5 liter of makeup may have helped the additive level from dropping further?)

Blackstone considers a TBN of 1.0 to be too low, and a TBN of below 2.0 is "getting low." I don't want to get this close to the edge again.

Oil report covering other measurements is attached.

PS: Your driving conditions may extend oil life. I drive mostly short distances, stop/start, in the city of LA, plus an occassional 500 mile trip, so this is probably tougher on the oil than for a long-distance commuter.

PPS: The service interval lights are fantasy for my driving conditions. Changing oil on the service lights would be DOUBLE the maximum appropriate mileage based on these tests. Three changes per service light cycle (or roughtly Ron's 4500 mile level) seems like the right interval for my conditions.

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
phrider said:
If you use the BMW Castrol TWS 10W60, you get the 100,000 mile 6 year engine warranty on our early S54 engines. If you don't, you may lose this warranty if the engine develops the bearing problem common in the early S54 engines.

In short, I wouldn't dare using anything but TWS 10W60.
Mikelly: I'd stay with what phrider says on this one if it were me (and my car)... my .02 for what it's worth..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Called BMW NA today to get guidance and clarification on this issue. I was told by two different individuals that there is no grounds for termination of warranty by not running Castrol TWS10W60... One of the individuals even mentioned Magnesson/ Moss act specifically.

Not saying I won't run the oil... But I'm talking to others who are having great success with "other" brands in the 20W50 Range who are testing their oils religiously with excellent success...

Mike

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
BMW says service lights or once per year. They will even pay for an oil change each year. I just had it done on my E46 M3, they call it a low mileage oil change.

Our M Roadster and LTW get annual changes, with about 1200 or so miles on each.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mikelly said:
Called BMW NA today to get guidance and clarification on this issue. I was told by two different individuals that there is no grounds for termination of warranty by not running Castrol TWS10W60... One of the individuals even mentioned Magnesson/ Moss act specifically.

Not saying I won't run the oil... But I'm talking to others who are having great success with "other" brands in the 20W50 Range who are testing their oils religiously with excellent success...

Mike
Mikelly, I read some ware that people got their bearings changed based on oil analysis. Did they say how they determine how the warranty is honored? Based on my oil analysis I may be needing it. I don't want to just run it till it develops knocking.

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
I change the oil every year before HC. Or about every 3500 miles.

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,254 Posts
madhouse said:
-You should change the oil 1/2 way between official changes and not reset the lights. IE: every 7000 miles, with every other service being free (for a while) though BMW.

·
1,687 Posts
Palantirion said:
-You should change the oil 1/2 way between official changes and not reset the lights. IE: every 7000 miles, with every other service being free (for a while) though BMW.
See Post #8 above. 7000 miles may be too long.

·
1,687 Posts
madhouse said:
Mikelly, I read some ware that people got their bearings changed based on oil analysis. Did they say how they determine how the warranty is honored? Based on my oil analysis I may be needing it. I don't want to just run it till it develops knocking.
See http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72435

1. The bearing change is at the discretion of BMW and your dealer, so you have to be persuasive.

2. You'll want the oil tests and/or oil test history. It will show the oil type, so you may want to have a spec oil. Remember, this is a discretionary move on BMW and your dealer's part (Moss Magnesson won't help you until the engine blows up on a dark twisty road and night, dumping oil under your rear wheels).

3. Gently approach your dealer for help, and enlist their help in getting the OK from BMW.

4. If you get resistance, remind them it's cheaper to do the bearings than the engine, plus there are other risks..... And other have had BMW do this bearing change out (send them here).

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I spoke w/ BMW NA, My specific question was would the extended warranty on the S54 motor be voided (As some here have claimed) if I chose to use another brand and weight of oil. I specified Synthetic 20W50. The answer I got was that BMW would not void the extended warranty due to this. I didn't get into specifics about anything else...

And if the motor blows up, what's the likelyhood that engine blows up on a dark twisty road and night, dumping oil under your rear wheels. Some of you guys crack me up...:rofl:

I can tell I'm losing fans already... :D

I do 99% of my own work on all my other cars. I have a twin post lift, do a LOT of welding, and machine work in my free time and replacing a motor in a car I paid cash for won't hurt my head if it pops... If it's a legitimate warranty issue, My corporate attorney will be enlisted to represent me. If it's something stupid I've done, then I'll suck it up and pay the bill... If it's something BMW has truly caused through poor design and build, I'll spend a few bucks...

Until then, I'm gonna pull a few oil analysis tests on the existing oil in it (Mike P. was doing the Castrol hokie pokie) and see where we are... I'm not opposed to spending the money on the Castrol... What I am opposed to is the same type of problem my customers had when I was selling amsoil... If I can't readily get it without driving 60 miles, that IS a pain in the arse and one that really is unacceptable... This is oil, not cancer treatment, folks...:thumbup:

Mike

·
Registered
507 Posts
Mikelly said:
Mike P. was doing the Castrol hokie pokie...
Mike
Yes he was puttin the right foot in and shaking it all about... I can't recall if I told you or not but the oil that is in the car has ~5000 miles but is due to be changed (according to the BMW weenies) for time (~one year)

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
I change mine every fall. I drive approx 2000 miles per year. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

BMW will not void your warranty if you put something other than 10W60 in your car. If you have a problem related to engine lubrication and it becomes evident you are not using approved 10W60, then they will deny your warranty claim. It's your choice if you want to gamble.

Buying OEM BMW LT-2 trans fluid and going to the dealer with a jug for diff oil is a PITA too. But I do it (1) for the piece of mind described above and (2) I have worked in an industry for too long that recommends certain maintennance procedures for very good reasons. I look at my car the same way.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
phrider said:
See Post #8 above. 7000 miles may be too long.
Yes, and 7,000 miles is more than halfway through the service lights. I think most of us S54 owners come to Inspection 1 somewhere in the 20-23K miles range. That would be two full light countdowns, 4 oil changes plus the one at 1,200 miles for a total of 5 oil changes. Works out to around 5,000 miles, the lights tick off after about 10,000 miles. Of course it depends on how you drive it; the lights are based on fuel consumption not mileage. Any S54 owner ever get 14,000 miles before the countdown is done? If so, you need to give me your car and buy a Prius. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.