Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a) Where is it located and can it only be seen from under the car.

b) Someone stated that the S54 engine has a semi-dry sump lubrication system with pressure and scavenging pumps to minimize oil starvation. Is this true? And if so, is it bad to overfill the S54 motor by 1/2 to 1 quart to eliminate common BMW valve ticking that occurs when tracked, autox'ed, driven hard.

c) How high have any S54 owners seen the oil temp go? Ive seen on a day with 100 degree temp about 220ish level, otherwise 200 most of the time, slightly under on very cool days.

Thanks for the help.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
A: it is mounted under the radiator (see photo).
normally hidden by an undershield, but you can see it if you
know where to look.

B: true.
not required, solid lifters don't "tick" unless they need
adjustment.
S-52 engine has hydraulic lifters.

C: 260 is recommended maximum.
I've seen 260 briefly.

Attachments

·
Rocket Scientist
1,455 Posts
As Randy says.

I see the same temperatures you do.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Ditto . . .

Mine sits around 200 most of the time, up to 220 or so when I ran Ortega Hwy on a warm day.

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
s52 conversion

would this cooler fit an s52 and would there be any benefit? I am running 230 ish.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the prompt comments everyone. I really appreciate the input!! :thumbup:

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Re: s52 conversion

bob lindquist said:
would this cooler fit an s52 and would there be any benefit? I am running 230 ish.
I would think the S52 (or any M car) would have an oil cooler :dunno:

·
4,073 Posts
S52 does not have oil cooler.

You can install an S54 oil cooler onto an S52 engine, but you're talking about a crapload of work. Installation of E36 M3 LTW oil filter housing (required) is non-trivial. Running in the 230s does not justify the time or expense.

Bob, it was good to meet you at HC by the way. Andy and I both liked your opinion on aiming headlights. Heheh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts