BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were looking to purchase a car today, which car would you go with?

2006 Volvo s60R, 30k miles
2003 BMW 540i, 91k miles

Assuming the price was not the issue, what's your choice?

How about assuming going with the 540 would save you 5 grand, what's your choice now?

Would love to hear any comments on individuals that have driven both, anybody?

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,598 Posts
Would love to hear any comments on individuals that have driven both, anybody?
I have not driven both but the last Volvo I drove handled like a ham sandwich. I don't like the looks of it and it sounds too much like Vulva.

All of that having been said, I'd probably seek out a lower mileage E39.

·
Registered
567 Posts
My friend has an S60R. I will still say that I really like it. The interior is fantastic, the seats are massively comfortable. I really like the adjustable suspension.

For the people who say it doesn't handle well, I think it easily handles as well as my 540i, as far as auto-x/track times.

His is an Automatic with torque limited in the first gear or two but it set a better time at the 1/4 mile than the 540i last time we went.

As far as a driving experience goes, the BMW definitely has it beat. The Volvo is really impressive though. My friend hasn't been the most reliable it has to be said though. The "tunability" is good, as far as power goes. Being a turbo engine there are much easier increases in power via. software, exhaust, etc. The Volvo is very discreet. We were once traveling with a group of high performance cars & the cops stopped the whole group except for the Volvo, lol. The volvo I still think is nice looking though.

I had the option of buying a new S60R, or a CPO 540i M w/ 20K miles. I went with the 540, but I heavily considered the Volvo.

30K Miles vs. 90K miles is a lot though...that might be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
520 Posts
if your saving 5 grand Id go with the 540 otherwise it would be a really hard choice. S60Rs are awesome except I hate how the shifter looks.

·
yorkie power
353 Posts
Most people don't know that the "R", in S60R stands for Racing. Is a souped up, turbocharged, sports tuned suspension machine, not your typical grandma's volvo.

The volvos don't suffer from catastrophic coolant system failures, like our bimmers. They do use a timing belt that needs to be replaced at recommended interval or the engine is damaged if it breaks on you.

So my vote is for the newer S60R :thumbup:

·
Registered
993 Posts
What are the actual prices? Are we talking $20k for the 540i and $25k for the Volvo? $25k and $30k?

The thing is, the 540i should be more than $5 grand cheaper than a car that's in the same approximate class and is three years newer and has 60,000 fewer miles. So it seems like the 540i may be underpriced or the Volvo overpriced. I haven't driven an S60R so I can't comment on performance, but I dislike the styling, and am skeptical that it's more reliable than a BMW. I'd probably go with Prop's suggestion and look for a lower mileage 540i.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Sorry, I just don't like the styling on modern Volvos. The rear quarter and trunk irk me wayyyy more than the Bangle butt. Also the shape of the rear door and the side window frames in general are just ugly.

I'd rather drive an e60 525i before driving any Volvo.

·
bates man
914 Posts
s60R brembo brakes :thumbup:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really appreciate everyone's comments, I wanted to see what others might do in my situation. Here's a bit more detail:

The R pictured is my current car. :)

I don't know if I'm just getting the 3yr itch, (bought the car 10/05 new).

I like it, just don't love it. I like the fact that I don't see many if any around. s60's I see a few but not the R.

I've owned 2 BMWs in the past, and should have probably bought my third, but wife talked me into the R. To be honest she didn't have to push too hard.

What irks me about this car is the aftermarket scene is almost non-existent. There are a few tuners, but not nearly as many exciting things I see going on with BMW. Additionally after the birth of our 2nd child the backseat is really showing how small it is. There is a bit more room in the 5er.

CarMax will give me $25k for the car. So that's where I'm coming up with the amount of savings over the 540i.

The R does handle nice, fast enough for me, interior is gorgeous, seats are awesome, active suspension which some may not like, but it hasn't caused me any issues, and "knock on wood" it's been bug free.

The e39 is a good looking car, but I've driven the 525i and the 530i and honestly it felt underpowered to me. So the 540 or M would be my choice. Obviously to get into the M I would have to come up with some more cash but for the 540 posted I could walk away with some change.

·
Registered
303 Posts
i assume you have driven a 540? looking at that picture it could be "MSport" version with some goodies on it, if not, look out for one, those goodies cost 5 to 7K on the new car and transform it in more ways than looks. The torque of the 540 is what does it for me, very little comes close, combine that with a lower ratio dif of some sports and the push-in-the-seat feeling is intense. The volvo has a transverse engine too I think, weight distribution must be a little strange? Let us know what happens

·
Registered
529 Posts
30K Miles vs. 90K miles is a lot though...that might be a deal breaker.
Drive the 540, and see how the handling, power, and ride compare. 90k Is alot for an E39, and if it didnt have things like the coolant system, thrust arms, etc, etc taken care of, then you could be in for more of a payout than you thought. If it was well taken care of though, then it should be good to go for many more years.

If your heart's set on an E39, and whose wouldn't be? ;), maybe you can find one with a little less mileage.

·
I'm a Highway Star
1,059 Posts
Volvos are OK. I drove a C60 rental car for a week or so. It seemed solid and reminded me of my last Bimmer, a 2001 330, in the fit and finish, and the handling was good.

But, most of the Volvos don't have much personality, or style, or something. I felt like a buttoned-down accountant or librarian driving it. My 540, on the other hand, has undeniable character and personality. It's got big cahones; I feel like a real man, driving it. :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
well i have some friends with volvo's like s80t6 some s60 not"R" i had s70, i will never buy volvo again they have so much problems with electric ,transmission and body parts like head lights are falling off while you drive all interior is coming a part so much bs,and they don't hold value ,now i know the 60R looks good and all but for 300hp car you can get something much better and quality built.i know this from people that had volvos.by the way i had 1984 240 dl volvo long time ago and i never had problems with that car:dunno: maybe back then they built those cars better.just my 2 cent

·
Registered
281 Posts
now i never said that bmw 540i don't have problems,yes they do and i have one, but you can't compaer volvo to bmw at all.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Isn't S60R awd? do you plan to drive in snow. I lived in Alexandria so I know you'll see some snow and awd could come in handy.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
My buddy had an s60 for a few months. The one thing that really stood out was how comfortable those seats were. My God were they awesome. I could sit in those for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
238 Posts
540 hands down.

The s60 is more of a comparison to the 3 series cars. I tested an s60 (the turbo one, T5 I think, or something like that) at the same time as testing my 325. I also tested a couple of 530's and one 540 M-sport. I loved the 540 but went with the 325 because it was two years newer, 46000 less kms and $5000 less. the volvo felt like a bathtub on wheels compared to the bimmers!

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
540 M-Sport. Never much of a Volvo fan...and found that they never stay as tight and rattle/squeek free as a BMW does as the miles accumulate.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts