BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a newbie question. Does Launch Mode shift thru the entire range of gears or just send the car off in first and leave the rest to the pilot? Im very afraid of trying this again due to the first attempt leading to a domino effect that put my rig in the shop 8 months. Sooo, two vanos units and an smg pump (Amongst other things) later, Im kind of wondering if she can handle the pressure. 56000 original miles on it, 2006, runs like hellfire, and I probably shouldn’t should I?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also!! I have my B and E rod bearings ordered and plan to have those in before I attempt to rewrite the aforementioned catastrophic launch fail

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothin eh? Tough room....well then a follow up question seems to be in order...
What is the correct technique for shifting with the smg? I have heard that lifting slightly off the gas on the upshift, keeping in mind that the car is essentially a manual, is less taxing on the clutch. But Then You have the owners manual saying to keep the throttle steady on a shift? So which is it? I come from a mostly manual background, and it seems natural to ease up slightly, the car doesn’t seem to have any issues with that method, and it may be my imagination but it tends not to slam into gear as often when driven this way. The car also doesn’t have any issues shifting without. It seems a little crisper and quicker without lifting as well. I want to avoid anything that may prematurely wear or damage the car. The gearbox doesn’t need any more reason to be clunky either, so whatever keeps it happiest is how I would like to drive it. Personally I dig the way it sometimes throws a clunky shift, its all part of the experience. And reminds me Im Driving, not just going for a “Ride”.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update since the last post. Clutch failure and crankshaft sensor malfunction. Lost one of the screws internally And it bounced around knocking teeth off the flywheel and damaged the bell housing. before I part with another 4 grand, I thought it wise to ask the room about clutch options for the smg. I was looking at the SPEC Clutch, and a few others. Anything out there worth considering? Or just go the oe parts? I generally look to upgrade to some degree especially whenever the engine or transmission must be out to repair an issue. Seems like a wasted opportunity if I simply swap a non performance
Part when there’s options to improve upon what was there from the factory.
Thanks

·
Registered
862 Posts
Quick update since the last post. Clutch failure and crankshaft sensor malfunction. Lost one of the screws internally And it bounced around knocking teeth off the flywheel and damaged the bell housing. before I part with another 4 grand, I thought it wise to ask the room about clutch options for the smg. I was looking at the SPEC Clutch, and a few others. Anything out there worth considering? Or just go the oe parts? I generally look to upgrade to some degree especially whenever the engine or transmission must be out to repair an issue. Seems like a wasted opportunity if I simply swap a non performance
Part when there's options to improve upon what was there from the factory.
Thanks
Unfortunately, you'll probably need to find another website for M5/M6 help. I've resorted to that. I think it would be good if this website would combine the both 2006-2010 M5/M6 - maybe it would gain a little more traction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.