BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a great ride with my F10, but I've officially become a plebian non-BMW driver for the first time in seven years tonight. I decided to switch to a 2021 Acura TLX A-Spec. FWIW, the F10 is a much better car than the Acura in just about every way other than the modern technology touches that weren't available back in the day. Given that it was the last day of the month, I got a deal that I decided that I couldn't refuse and I get to drive the next six years with a powertrain warranty that I'm not expecting to need.

I'll miss my car because it was every bit as good as I had hoped for and far more dependable than I had planned on...but sometimes it's time for a change. I'll still be a fan of the roundel.

Registered
I make bowling balls for a living
Enjoy the Acura, they are sharp but I dislike the interior and controls setups. That being said they seem to be pretty reliable and easy to maintain, hope you love it 馃憤

Registered
Good luck with the Acura. Tough to beat the peace of mind that comes with a new car. Your knowledge will be missed here

Glfbggy
I'd be interested to learn what technology you wanted that wasn't in the f10. Was it the assistance features for things like lane departure, cruise and the like?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd be interested to learn what technology you wanted that wasn't in the f10. Was it the assistance features for things like lane departure, cruise and the like?
I wanted the lane keeping, adaptive cruise control and other driving assist features that mine didn't have. Too much of a pain to add them in my opinion. The bigger issue for me ended up being that BMW abandoning older customers on the connectivity side.....even on items that shouldn't have really mattered (texts showing up on the infotainment screen). I also wanted Apple Carplay. Another nice touch with the A-Spec and Advance trims is the addition of a wireless charging pad in the console. It wasn't worth switching based on that alone of course. I was just ready for a change as much as anything else.

Glfbggy
I wanted the lane keeping, adaptive cruise control and other driving assist features that mine didn't have. Too much of a pain to add them in my opinion. The bigger issue for me ended up being that BMW abandoning older customers on the connectivity side.....even on items that shouldn't have really mattered (texts showing up on the infotainment screen). I also wanted Apple Carplay. Another nice touch with the A-Spec and Advance trims is the addition of a wireless charging pad in the console. It wasn't worth switching based on that alone of course. I was just ready for a change as much as anything else.
I understand, but be advised, I have everything you mention, but in an '18 f15 35d, including wireless charging and a hotspot. BTW, I have not purchased the Car Play (Android here) nor have I activated a subscription with AT&T for the hotspot. I work enough in the tech sector in front of a PC, I do not want my vehicle to be a rolling PC.

Registered
Man I decided to sell my BMW f10 after having so many leaks, turbo issues and weird noises on my engine and someone told me your engine will blowup so sell it. Being a BMW fan I laughed at him but the car continues to give me issues so I sold my f10 535i last august with only 70k for $13k.
It was in amazing condition and I was very sad at first but I endup buying a Tesla model S and so far I enjoy very bit of it that I don鈥檛 miss my BMW anymore.
The sad part it just 2 weeks ago I got a text from the buyer saying that the engine blew up on him. I was sad to hear that honestly and felt bad for the buyer but man this was my 3rd BMW where it was a money pit for me. Amazing to drive but expensive to maintain.
As much I love driving them I will never buy one anymore. Maybe lease...but I鈥檓 Loving the Tesla with full self driving so far. Love the power and handling. It leaves my friends M4 behind in no time.

Registered
I make bowling balls for a living
Congrats on your new ride. Do you know what the failure was on the N55?

Registered
Congrats on your new ride. Do you know what the failure was on the N55?
Thanks...drive train malfunction errors and weird sound coming from engine when it was parked in garage. Sounded like some stone rolled over under the hood while car was off. I was trying to trace it but had no luck. Someone suggested sell the car. So I did. Glad I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
hey flatland, how many miles did you have on your 535i when you sold it?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey flatland, how many miles did you have on your 535i when you sold it?
82,200 miles.

The funny thing is that I traded it into Acura of Wichita and they are part of a mega-dealer here in Wichita that owns Acura, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lexus, Mercedes and Porsche. It showed up on the BMW website as "coming soon" before the ink was dry on my contract with Acura....but they have the mileage wrong and it's listed at 98,087 miles.

Officially a BMW Addict
You will surely miss the ultimate driving machine. Keep your eye on BMW for when you want to come back in a few months or years ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You will surely miss the ultimate driving machine. Keep your eye on BMW for when you want to come back in a few months or years ;)
I'm torn on that. Depending on how the long term reliability ends up being, my one thought is to buy an M550i down the road. Frankly, a 2018 M550i was about the same price that I paid for my new car....if I was willing to drive 10 hours roundtrip to get to the inexpensive ones. I thought about it, but what is totally crazy is that in five years, the Acura will be worth 25% more than the M550i because of BMW's nefariously high depreciation. Of course, an M550i is a much different car than a TLX and one could argue that resale value is irrelevant in that discussion.

Reactions: OnlyGerman

Officially a BMW Addict
I'm torn on that. Depending on how the long term reliability ends up being, my one thought is to buy an M550i down the road. Frankly, a 2018 M550i was about the same price that I paid for my new car....if I was willing to drive 10 hours roundtrip to get to the inexpensive ones. I thought about it, but what is totally crazy is that in five years, the Acura will be worth 25% more than the M550i because of BMW's nefariously high depreciation. Of course, an M550i is a much different car than a TLX and one could argue that resale value is irrelevant in that discussion.
Got to love deprecation - even worse on those 7 series.

Registered
I sold my E60 in the beginning of 2020. Went through 2 other vehicles, a Mazda CX9 (awesome vehicle all the way around and super fun to drive with a top notch interior and tech but the wife couldn't get used to the seats) and a Mercedes GLE 350. Initially liked the Mercedes but the ride constantly made me nauseous, the tech was horrible and everything else jsut wasn't were I thought it should be for a premium brand. We were driving on the freeway past the BMW dealership here on the way to dinner when I spotted an F07 on the lot. Immediately got off the freeway, went to the dealer and drove the car home....sooooo glad to be back in a BMW.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I sold my E60 in the beginning of 2020. Went through 2 other vehicles, a Mazda CX9 (awesome vehicle all the way around and super fun to drive with a top notch interior and tech but the wife couldn't get used to the seats) and a Mercedes GLE 350. Initially liked the Mercedes but the ride constantly made me nauseous, the tech was horrible and everything else jsut wasn't were I thought it should be for a premium brand. We were driving on the freeway past the BMW dealership here on the way to dinner when I spotted an F07 on the lot. Immediately got off the freeway, went to the dealer and drove the car home....sooooo glad to be back in a BMW.
My wife has a 2018 CX-9 Signature AWD. She hated the interior the first time we drove it (Auburn.....aka Cinnamon Brown in the BMW world) but after driving a couple other different vehicles, she really liked it. We've had it for just over two years and she'll be in it for a while.

Registered
Congrat on your new ride. I was a big fan of Honda/Acura (and still is) before switching the daily drivers to Mercedes then a E46 and a F10. After working on the E46 myself a lot plus paying $$$ to an Indy for work that I can't perform, I replaced it with a Tesla. I think it's great to experience different brands/platforms.

Registered
My wife has a 2018 CX-9 Signature AWD. She hated the interior the first time we drove it (Auburn.....aka Cinnamon Brown in the BMW world) but after driving a couple other different vehicles, she really liked it. We've had it for just over two years and she'll be in it for a while.
We had the Grand Touring AWD model. She had an issue with the seat bottom being too short and could never get comfortable in the seat. Other than that it was a really good vehicle

1 - 20 of 38 Posts