BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
I'm new to this forum and was refered by a friend of mine whom I purchased my 1992 850i.
Lately, the car goes into "Safe Mode" and the transmission locks, it changes back to a normal position after 30 seconds. once in a while, when it happens, the check engine comes on but goes off after a while.

I must say that 95% of the time the car is just fine with no signes of any problems, the transmission shifts great and the car accelerate as expected.

I tried to contact a "BMW Dealer" but they would not help without an appointment and not so cheap inspection.

I was wondering if anybody knows what could that be, or if any of you here experienced that before and what was the issue.

I thought that maybe the air flew sensor or the O2 sensors could not perform righ but have no clue.

Your advice and time is appreciated.
Thank you,
Ophir

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Call your local BMWCCA (car club) and have them recommend a good independent mechanic.

·
Z3 Crash-test Veteran
120 Posts
ObD said:
Call your local BMWCCA (car club) and have them recommend a good independent mechanic.
I agree. This is most likely going to be an electrical system problem (I had this when the alternator died), or maybe a wheel sensor problem (not familar with what was available on '92 models) - but not an emission sensor problem.

Electrical problems are some of the hardest things to find/fix, sorry....maybe it'll be something easy like a worn part in the tranny itself....:dunno:

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
ObD said:
And with that car....Take him out to dinner. Your going to need to develop a relationship with a good reliable mechanic.

·
Old Fogey
678 Posts
The first and foremost cause of random alarms on the 8 is low batteries.

If you don't drive the car often it most likely low batteries and you need a battery tender for when it is parked.

If you use it as a daily driver then you need to have the batteries load tested. If either battery is marginal then replace both. Interstates work as well as the BMW batteries (same manufacturer in the US)

That seems to fix 99% of the Trans Prog errors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the replies

Thank you all for the information provided.
I will take some of your advice and try to change the batteries first.

I will keep in touch.

My best regards;
Ophir

Let me know if there is anything I can help with :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts