Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing winter tires for a x6M and running into fitment availability with my wheel sizes. Was wondering what was thought of running 4 275/40R20 winter tires (recommended size) on staggered wheels? I have a spare set of 20x10 front and 20x11 rear I am hoping to use. Biggest concern is rear wheel width affecting tire height for AWD issues.

·
Suspension Guru
315 Posts
Before I say yes...

What are your Exact Front & Rear tires now ?

Rob43

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
currently running the OEM 21's, they are summer only.
front-285/35zr21 on 21x10
rear-325/30zr21 on 21x11.5.

the 20's will be a winter only set, and don't fully exist yet...

·
Suspension Guru
315 Posts
currently running the OEM 21's, they are summer only.
front-285/35zr21 on 21x10
rear-325/30zr21 on 21x11.5.

the 20's will be a winter only set, and don't fully exist yet...
Well first your Current fronts are ~28.9" overall diameter & your rears are ~28.7" diameter, so this is your "Baseline" OE tire sizing.

Your winter tire size of 275/40-20 = ~28.7" overall diameter, so that will work great as a Non-Staggered setup. My ONLY concern is this: Will a set of 20" diameter wheels clear your current brake calipers without touching ???

This brake caliper question is my only concern....

Rob43

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is an OEM 20" option for the x6M. there is an official winter set avail in 20" as well, but i'm not digging the dark gray wheel color with my black ride. haven't tried the spare set of 20's on yet for fit, but i'm told they should clear. trust me, i will before going forward. my only real worry other than that was the wider rear wheel making the diameter smaller and causing AWD issues…or will it? just making sure before i throw 4 figures at more tire.

·
Suspension Guru
315 Posts
there is an OEM 20" option for the x6M. there is an official winter set avail in 20" as well, but i'm not digging the dark gray wheel color with my black ride. haven't tried the spare set of 20's on yet for fit, but i'm told they should clear. trust me, i will before going forward. my only real worry other than that was the wider rear wheel making the diameter smaller and causing AWD issues…or will it? just making sure before i throw 4 figures at more tire.
OK, I'm glad you know the 20" wheels will clear the brakes.

The 275/40-20 tires will work perfectly on your slightly staggered wheels because the tires are within your wheel width specs. Front & Rear overall diameter will be the same, keeping them the Same diameter is what your Bimmer wants.

Consider forum sponsor Tire Racks Yokohama IG51V at ~$707 before shipping.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=iceGUARD+iG51v&partnum=74TR0IG51V&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Rob43

1 - 6 of 6 Posts