Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum was a great help before I bought my 08 535i CPO in 2010. Thanks for all who went through the HPFP before I did and posted about it. I knew what I was getting in to. I love this car, my first BMW.

She's been in the shop a ton...two HPFP's replaced with me and all the other fixes. Sorry I don't have my records in front of me. Here's the twist: four reduced power faults over past 6 months and no record of fault on key fob.

Three faults on my car, low power, sluggish, and then it goes away. Brought it in 2 months ago to check on the three faults, they couldn't find an error message on the key fob....kinda made me upset. Then i took the car back and then got the reduced power again a month later on a trip and I took a picture of it...thank god. They had to get to the hard drive to see the exact mileage when the fault happened and found it. But they have no clue what happened. They opened a technical case with BMW. No idea why it's happening. They said I have to bring it when the fault is happening. It always fixes itself. picking it up tomorrow

Anyone else having returning reduced power problems that fix themselves? Will I be seeing this the rest of my relationship with this car? I understand it can be many different issues, though my extended warranty is done this summer and I am starting to lose faith in this vehicle for the next 50k to 80k miles. It has 70k now

Thanks...sorry for the long first post. I really respect this forum.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Make sure u continue to take the car in , when it acts up and document all the issues while its still under warranty.. It will lay a paper trail to back u up after the warranty expires to make them cover the repair because it was under warranty when u complained of the problem . They shoiuld have been able to fix it.. Its not your fault that they could not duplicate it

·
Registered
221 Posts
This forum was a great help before I bought my 08 535i CPO in 2010. Thanks for all who went through the HPFP before I did and posted about it. I knew what I was getting in to. I love this car, my first BMW.

She's been in the shop a ton...two HPFP's replaced with me and all the other fixes. Sorry I don't have my records in front of me. Here's the twist: four reduced power faults over past 6 months and no record of fault on key fob.

Three faults on my car, low power, sluggish, and then it goes away. Brought it in 2 months ago to check on the three faults, they couldn't find an error message on the key fob....kinda made me upset. Then i took the car back and then got the reduced power again a month later on a trip and I took a picture of it...thank god. They had to get to the hard drive to see the exact mileage when the fault happened and found it. But they have no clue what happened. They opened a technical case with BMW. No idea why it's happening. They said I have to bring it when the fault is happening. It always fixes itself. picking it up tomorrow

Anyone else having returning reduced power problems that fix themselves? Will I be seeing this the rest of my relationship with this car? I understand it can be many different issues, though my extended warranty is done this summer and I am starting to lose faith in this vehicle for the next 50k to 80k miles. It has 70k now

Thanks...sorry for the long first post. I really respect this forum.
Wow, truly discouraging. I don't know what could cause reduce power without recording/storing a fault. If you have a picture of the unrecorded fault then I would argue, in writing, that they need to replace the fault storing electronics. In the interim, be certain to capture a photo with mileage everytime this happens and return the car to the dealer. If it is not resolved by the time your warranty is nearing expiration, I would argue for some kind of pre-existing warranty coverage or other form of compensation.

As unsavory as keeping your issue prone car may seem, it may be even more expensive and/or problematic to sell it. It is expensive to take a hit on selling a car and purchasing a newer one, and it can be tough to sell a higher mileage, non warranty, turbo car with the service track record yours has.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
That is very strange since the faults are stored on your dme until it is cleared. I would find out if they are actually reading what is stored in the actual dme vs the key fob which iirc is just what the current status of the vehicle. Just from my experiences with troubleshooting limp modes I have had no problems pulling codes stored from previous limp modes which usually begin with a H vs P.

·
Nac
572 Posts
A couple of years ago I had on two occasions received the reduced power warning, which then went away. No codes were displayed on either the first or second trip to the dealer. They did a "smoke test" on the second trip and found that a vacuum line was leaking. It was replaced and the problem has not happened again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks scoale, maybe it is the storing electronics. That makes a lot of sense. booyaazaa, if the DME is the hard drive, then that's what they checked this time. Last time they said since the reduced power fault wasn't on the key fob, then it didn't happen. I'm glad I took pictures of it. I guess it's a good idea for other n54 owners to take pics if they are still under warranty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick follow up. They couldn't figure it out. They said I have to bring the car in while the fault is happening for them to have a chance at fixing it. It probably will happen again soon. I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Quick follow up. They couldn't figure it out. They said I have to bring the car in while the fault is happening for them to have a chance at fixing it. It probably will happen again soon. I will keep you updated.

That doesn't sound right. Have you thought of going to a different dealer? There should be a snap shot of what the fault is along with other engine parameters at the moment the fault appeared. Just curious are you completely stock, no tune or flash mod?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi aber, last two times I was at highway speeds, 65 mph. No hard throttle, just cruising.

Booyazzaaa, I know it doesn't make sense. They have contacted BMW's technical team to go into the car with more detail. However, since they can't trip the fault again, they are sending the car back to me. Also, I am completely stock. No mods or anything.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts