BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Initially I was told (by salesman and BMWUSA.com) that my Samsung A900 will not work with my new 2007 550i, but after playing around with it I was able to connect the two. here is how to do it.

• Make sure Bluetooth is on from communications menu
  • Change to screen in communications menu that says "Phone connectable in this menu"
  • Search for Devices on your cell phone
  • Enter pin on cell phone
  • Follow directions to connect the phone in the BMW menu

Now this does not mean that the phone is fully compatible, there are some features that will not work. See issues below

• Will not download phonebook, it will attempt but will be stuck at "please wait" screen forever
  • Will not store any numbers at all, even though you have made calls, so there is no history of calls at all. All Recent dials, recent missed calls, recent incoming calls menus will be blank
  • will not hangup a call that the other party has not hung up first on

While the issues above are quite serious, I am still very happy that I can use my phone and do not have to switch to "laptop like" Treo (the only offical Sprint phone that is compatible).

·
Registered
61 Posts
The samsung 920 on sprints network is fully functional. The 900 looks better but your bmw salesperson was right it is not compatible for all the reasons you listed. I was told by the sprint manager in my area that a new blade type phone is coming out with the updated software that will be similiar to the 920 and hopefully fully functional.

·
Registered
676 Posts
BMW550NYC said:
While the issues above are quite serious, I am still very happy that I can use my phone and do not have to switch to "laptop like" Treo (the only offical Sprint phone that is compatible).
:) I've been using the Treo 650 for over a year now, and have found it to be a great device. I'm glad to hear that it is completely compatible with the car!

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
May I merge you with the enormous "What phone works" thread near the top of the forum? I think this should go in there.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Nevermind...I see you posted there already. That's cool. :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In addition to all the problems that I listed (and could live with) there is one major annoying problem, at random (sometimes every five minutes) the phone rings as if I am getting a call, but there is no call. The only way to shut off the alarm is to dial someone and hang up...this is one problem that might cause me to switch phones, but I really like the slim 900. Rick would you happen to know the model of the new blade-like Sprint phone and approximate time to market?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I was told by a Microsoft (Europe) sales manager that in order for a phone to be fully compatible with our Bimmers, the phone had to be running the Microsoft Mobile operating system. This seat mate on a recent return flight from Germany had worked closely with BMW AG. Other Bluetooth phone may work, but if you want full compatibility, i.e. phonebook transfers, make sure your phone is based on MS Mobile. YMMV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts