BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 535i SAT, but would assume this Tip and Trick would apply to the standard Steptronic tranny as well. I don't recall seeing this in the Owner's Manual, or on any board. I learned this off the new Porsche PDK transmission, which works similarly.

When you are running the car in manual mode and want to downshift to the optimal gear for the corner, instead of flipping down the paddle or gear shift multiple times (in the past I don't downshift enough, or too many times), you just stab your throttle. Doing this will downshift the tranny to the lowest gear allowable for your current speed. It will then hold that gear into and through the corner. As you approach the corner, just before you begin your braking, you stab the throttle, brake, then you're back on the throttle in the optimal gear.

I highly recommend that you learn how to master this in the absence of traffic. Have fun!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have a 2008 535i SAT, but would assume this Tip and Trick would apply to the standard Steptronic tranny as well. I don't recall seeing this in the Owner's Manual, or on any board. I learned this off the new Porsche PDK transmission, which works similarly.

When you are running the car in manual mode and want to downshift to the optimal gear for the corner, instead of flipping down the paddle or gear shift multiple times (in the past I don't downshift enough, or too many times), you just stab your throttle. Doing this will downshift the tranny to the lowest gear allowable for your current speed. It will then hold that gear into and through the corner. As you approach the corner, just before you begin your braking, you stab the throttle, brake, then you're back on the throttle in the optimal gear.

I highly recommend that you learn how to master this in the absence of traffic. Have fun!!!
I'm gonna be a wise guy and say that a simple downshift/clutch (3 to 2 or 4 to 2) is all that is needed for us guys with a manual trans.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm gonna be a wise guy and say that a simple downshift/clutch (3 to 2 or 4 to 2) is all that is needed for us guys with a manual trans.
However with a manual tranny, you have to know your gearing, know what speed you are going, plus you'll have to heel/toe to match revs. Otherwise you'll select too high a gear, or worse - select too low a gear.

With the auto, it'll select the lowest gear automatically. This probably won't work for SMG.

·
Registered
824 Posts
However with a manual tranny, you have to know your gearing, know what speed you are going, plus you'll have to heel/toe to match revs. Otherwise you'll select too high a gear, or worse - select too low a gear.
It's all feel baby.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts

Ummm, yeah. That's where the fun is.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Of course - if you don't want to use this method, you can always just downshift what you think is the requisite number of gears.

However for me, not being an expert driver, it works best so that I can focus on line and length of the corner.

So I'm straight here, for those folks who have a manual, I wish you the best, and are happy that you love what you have. I have an SAT, and I love it as well, just slightly more than a manual, and when using a SAT, this is what you can do with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Interesting, I'll give it a try on a clear section of road.

Generally I prefer not to be in the absolutely lowest gear possible for a given corner because any throttle inputs (both more and less) have the greatest effect on the car's stability, particularly the undesirable effects of weight transfer in mid corner. So I generally go in to a corner one gear higher as this is the fastest way around a corner for most drivers.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Generally I prefer not to be in the absolutely lowest gear possible for a given corner because any throttle inputs (both more and less) have the greatest effect on the car's stability, particularly the undesirable effects of weight transfer in mid corner.
I put my trust in DSC and other electronic nannies at that point. My skills are definitely not where they are when it comes to handling the car without the electronics on, at the limit, on public roads. I've opposite locked a car numerous times - but I've also come around twice, when in my teens. Both times were in cars without any form of electronic intervention.

On a closed track with plenty of run-off, I'll give anything plausible a try.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'd guess that for a 90 degree turn you'd want to be in 2nd gear.

In Manual mode I'd just pick my own gears, but I'd have to admit that DS may be faster and more appropriate than my own control.

Now, Platinum Bronze - what's the rationale for this color?

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now, Platinum Bronze - what's the rationale for this color?
Personal preference; liking the E60 in lighter colors; not wanting to drive a color I've already driven; just leasing. I actually love the color, and its been one of the launch colors for BMW recently (E93, F01 for example). It didn't hurt that it only became available from MY2008. Though I wouldn't get it if I was buying my car and keeping it for 5 years, for example. It's egotistical, but when you get a new car, you want people to notice :).

·
Registered
558 Posts
Personal preference; liking the E60 in lighter colors; not wanting to drive a color I've already driven; just leasing. I actually love the color, and its been one of the launch colors for BMW recently (E93, F01 for example). It didn't hurt that it only became available from MY2008. Though I wouldn't get it if I was buying my car and keeping it for 5 years, for example. It's egotistical, but when you get a new car, you want people to notice :).
Although I chose Monoco blue and grey for my 535, I recently saw a bronze 5 series with the natural brown interior and had I seen that combo before ordering I would have gotten it. Bronze and lite beige is probably a great combo also and is featured in the 5 series brochure as "timeless elegance". However bronze and black would fall flat IMHO.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had this technique down to a science with my e46 325 with 5 speed steptronic. :)

However, with my e60 550 6speed stetptronic, I can not get the same feel. stomping the throttle shifts down, but if I let up on the gas and brake for the corner it upshifts ??? I just assumed this is part of the programming to keep the car pointing in the right direction for drivers unfamiliar with drifting!

my next BMW will have a manual transmission.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had this technique down to a science with my e46 325 with 5 speed steptronic. :)

However, with my e60 550 6speed stetptronic, I can not get the same feel. stomping the throttle shifts down, but if I let up on the gas and brake for the corner it upshifts ??? I just assumed this is part of the programming to keep the car pointing in the right direction for drivers unfamiliar with drifting!

my next BMW will have a manual transmission.
Are you in M mode? This is in M mode with Sport button activated. I'll try it without the Sport, and see if it is different.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Are you in M mode? This is in M mode with Sport button activated. I'll try it without the Sport, and see if it is different.
No sport button on my ride :cry:
but I am in 'sport' via DS. I have not tried this in M, since I just use the shifter to downshift before entering the corner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts