BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car still has the original Sat Nav DVD (2005-2) and I'd like to update it.

BMW tell me that the 2012 disc will be out in quarter 1 of 2012 and the discs are currently £175, which seems excessive.

I might be tempted to buy a newer disc than mine (say 2010) on eBay, but compatibility seems to be difficult to identify.

Any thoughts / ideas? My system does not allow postcode input (which I am missing as I had it in my last car). Does anyone know whether a newer disc than mine will have it (and if so, from which edition)?

Many thanks

·
2007 760Li User
972 Posts
For a few years now I've been creating my own versions with Banks&ATMs, full 7 Digit PostCode searching and speed cameras..

The basics are this:
If you have a NAVI03 (latest on the E65/6) DVD NAV computer in your car, you can run Dual Layer DVDs (or DVD-9).
NAVI02 users can only run single layer DVDs (or DVD-5) so cannot run my custom DVDs but can run Europe DVDs with the foreign language packs removed.
NAVI01 users can only run CDs

Drive updates are simply a matter of swapping out the older unit for the new.

To exploit the full features of any NAV computer, ensure the s/w is updated to the latest version (see below).
You can download and burn a CD to do this, V32 is the latest and can be obtained from here

The v32 update file is an iso, so use IMGBURN to burn it correctly. (it's free from www.imgburn.com)

Burn it to a CD-R, ensure the car is on (key inserted) with the engine off and the iDrive in NAV mode.
Remove the DVD and insert the update CD.
Select YES to update. This will take about 15mins and is done in 2 stages.
Once done, a message (saying the same) should appear. If the CD is not automatically ejected, remove it and return your NAV DVD to the drive.

How to check your NAVI0X version:
1. From the iDrive home screen
2. Press the iDrive dial for 6 seconds & then release (Don't rotate the dial, but there should now be resistance when you try to turn the dial, if you do rotate the dial, just start again by pressing the dial for six seconds).
3. Rotate the dial clockwise 3 clicks
4. Rotate the dial counter-clockwise 3 clicks
5. Rotate the dial clockwise 1 click
6. Rotate the dial counter-clockwise 1 click
7. Rotate the dial clockwise 1 click
8. Press the dial - You should now see a new menu
(if the screen switches off at this point, you did it wrong. Just press the dial to switch the screen back on and try again)

Go to other devices and find Navigation, your s/w version is shown in the format "X.X.X hex".

NAVI02 (begins with "8.x.xx") & NAVI03 (begins with "9.x.xx")
A NAVI02 drive running v32 = 8.4.4 hex
A NAVI03 drive running v32 = 9.8.2 hex.

Mine is showing "9.8.2 hex" meaning it's running v32. (Previously it was 9.7.2 hex)
I believe the previous version of the NAVI02 drive was 8.3.E hex

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a few years now I've been creating my own versions with Banks&ATMs, full 7 Digit PostCode searching and speed cameras..

The basics are this:
If you have a NAVI03 (latest on the E65/6) DVD NAV computer in your car, you can run Dual Layer DVDs (or DVD-9).
NAVI02 users can only run single layer DVDs (or DVD-5) so cannot run my custom DVDs but can run Europe DVDs with the foreign language packs removed.
NAVI01 users can only run CDs

Drive updates are simply a matter of swapping out the older unit for the new.

To exploit the full features of any NAV computer, ensure the s/w is updated to the latest version (see below).
You can download and burn a CD to do this, V32 is the latest and can be obtained from here

The v32 update file is an iso, so use IMGBURN to burn it correctly. (it's free from www.imgburn.com)

Burn it to a CD-R, ensure the car is on (key inserted) with the engine off and the iDrive in NAV mode.
Remove the DVD and insert the update CD.
Select YES to update. This will take about 15mins and is done in 2 stages.
Once done, a message (saying the same) should appear. If the CD is not automatically ejected, remove it and return your NAV DVD to the drive.

How to check your NAVI0X version:
1. From the iDrive home screen
2. Press the iDrive dial for 6 seconds & then release (Don't rotate the dial, but there should now be resistance when you try to turn the dial, if you do rotate the dial, just start again by pressing the dial for six seconds).
3. Rotate the dial clockwise 3 clicks
4. Rotate the dial counter-clockwise 3 clicks
5. Rotate the dial clockwise 1 click
6. Rotate the dial counter-clockwise 1 click
7. Rotate the dial clockwise 1 click
8. Press the dial - You should now see a new menu
(if the screen switches off at this point, you did it wrong. Just press the dial to switch the screen back on and try again)

Go to other devices and find Navigation, your s/w version is shown in the format "X.X.X hex".

NAVI02 (begins with "8.x.xx") & NAVI03 (begins with "9.x.xx")
A NAVI02 drive running v32 = 8.4.4 hex
A NAVI03 drive running v32 = 9.8.2 hex.

Mine is showing "9.8.2 hex" meaning it's running v32. (Previously it was 9.7.2 hex)
I believe the previous version of the NAVI02 drive was 8.3.E hex
I got into the menu 1st attempt. I can't help but wonder what other info is 'hidden' within the iDrive?

My software version is the same as yours (9.8.2 hex) so does that mean that I have the latest software and it's a NAV103 version? I couldn't find any model details on the DVD other than part no 6590 6 959 114 - 01 but I jotted down some of the other details from the iDrive menu (Hardware No 61, Coding Index 05, Diagnosis index 02E0, variant 4231).

I have no idea what a dual layer DVD or DVD-9 is, but does this info mean that I can play them?

The sort of DVD's that you are referring to (postcode entry etc) - do they just replace the existing navi DVD and work straight away or is there a setup process? Do they retain all of the existing functionality and just add new features? Can they harm the system?

Finally, whilst in the 'hidden menu' I jotted down some info re my TV. It has software 7.5.1E hex and is system 3.3.0 hex. Does that help to answer my other query as to whether it should pick pick up digital channels?

·
2007 760Li User
972 Posts
I got into the menu 1st attempt. I can't help but wonder what other info is 'hidden' within the iDrive?

My software version is the same as yours (9.8.2 hex) so does that mean that I have the latest software and it's a NAV103 version?
Yep :)
I couldn't find any model details on the DVD other than part no 6590 6 959 114 - 01 but I jotted down some of the other details from the iDrive menu (Hardware No 61, Coding Index 05, Diagnosis index 02E0, variant 4231).

I have no idea what a dual layer DVD or DVD-9 is, but does this info mean that I can play them?
Yes. Dual layer DVDs allow twice as much data to be stored on a single side..
Think of it like 2 CDs, one on top of each other, being read at slightly different focal points :)

DVD-9's were invented so you don't have to turn them over to get the same storage capacity as a double sided single layer DVD-5.

They even make a dual layer, double sided DVD which can hold 4 times as much data a DVD-5 holds.
(99% of DVD movies you buy are DVD-9 as it allows them to use one side for the printed label)
The sort of DVD's that you are referring to (postcode entry etc) - do they just replace the existing navi DVD and work straight away or is there a setup process? Do they retain all of the existing functionality and just add new features? Can they harm the system?
The 'modified' DVDs will not harm your drive any more than the OEM DVD will (regardless of what some wanabe engineers may claim). They simply add more options for you to use when planning your route and are a simple disc swap.
Finally, whilst in the 'hidden menu' I jotted down some info re my TV. It has software 7.5.1E hex and is system 3.3.0 hex. Does that help to answer my other query as to whether it should pick pick up digital channels?
I took a look at mine and here are the results:
Hardware: D7
Software: 7.E.1E
O/S: 3.3.0
Message-cat: 0.10.32
Variant: 4C43
Date: 05/09/06 (or 20060905)

·
Registered
159 Posts
This navigation topic is really interesting. I recently (yesterday in fact :)) became the new owner of an E65 750i manufactured on February 28, 2005.

This is the facelifted model which seems a bit odd as I thought the facelift started with the 2006 model year.

Anyway I thought the nav display was pretty crummy. The car has the latest 2011 map DVD so I figured it must be that it has the NAVI02 unit which can use the new maps but does not have the NAVI03 display capabilities.

When I found out this V32 firmware update was available I decided to update just to have the latest version but did not expect any improvements in functionality.

After the update I was greeted with a beautiful anti aliased map view with street names, a blue sky and clouds in the birds eye view. As I understand it only the NAVI03 unit can do this.

So it seems my car was delivered with a NAVI03 unit but with old firmware. I am pretty sure the previous owners were not the types who keep track of firmware updates. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took a look at mine and here are the results:
Hardware: D7
Software: 7.E.1E
O/S: 3.3.0
Message-cat: 0.10.32
Variant: 4C43
Date: 05/09/06 (or 20060905)
Comparing each of the above with mine;

Hardware D3
Software 7.5.1E hex
O/S 3.3.0 hex
Message-cat 0.10.32
Variant 4C42
Date 09/02/05 (20050209)

So, can we deduce from this info whether mine is a hybrid / digital tuner or just analogue?

Also, and this may be irrelevant, but when in the 'secret' menu, there is something in the menu between SpeechRec and TV Tuner that is just showing 'wait' and doesn't seem to load. Also, in the TV menu, the TV Coding Index and Diagnosis Index are both showing 'wait' and not loading. Thought I'd mention it incase it indicates a fault.

Finally, how can I get hold of a reliable copy of an updated DVD with speed cameras etc for my system and how much should I expect to pay for it?

Many thanks as always.

·
2007 760Li User
972 Posts
Comparing each of the above with mine;

Hardware D3
Software 7.5.1E hex
O/S 3.3.0 hex
Message-cat 0.10.32
Variant 4C42
Date 09/02/05 (20050209)

So, can we deduce from this info whether mine is a hybrid / digital tuner or just analogue?

Also, and this may be irrelevant, but when in the 'secret' menu, there is something in the menu between SpeechRec and TV Tuner that is just showing 'wait' and doesn't seem to load. Also, in the TV menu, the TV Coding Index and Diagnosis Index are both showing 'wait' and not loading. Thought I'd mention it incase it indicates a fault.

Finally, how can I get hold of a reliable copy of an updated DVD with speed cameras etc for my system and how much should I expect to pay for it?

Many thanks as always.
I've got the same 'waiting' showing in those places too, so I'd ignore those..

I'd say it's 99% an analogue unit, but I'll do some research :)

As for the NAV DVD, PM over your name/address and I'll send out one of mine..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This navigation topic is really interesting. I recently (yesterday in fact :)) became the new owner of an E65 750i manufactured on February 28, 2005.

This is the facelifted model which seems a bit odd as I thought the facelift started with the 2006 model year.
My 750i Sport was built in March 2005 and registered in May 2005 and is also the facelifted model.

The facelifted model is stated as being introduced in 2006 on most forums and websites, yet was clearly introduced early 2005.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just checked and I have 9.8.2 hex for my software version so I am up to date. I need to look for a more current cd for my nav as well. On a recent trip my car actually drive over some water and the nav lady kept telling me to make a legal u turn. :)

Thanks for the combo to the menu.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for the info. I have just successfully updated the satnav in my 2004 E65 to the latest version. I downloaded an iso off the Internet with the 2015 BMW high navigation maps. As my drive is a NAVI2 I installed PowerIso (need full version for this) and simply deleted the 4 other languages from the ISO, as explained above. Everything now fits in a single layer disc and it works perfectly. Even though the satnav is 11 years old its now a little more usable. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.