BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Satellite Radio Dropping Out

1896 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  steviej1
F30 was delivered a couple of weeks ago... all is well, EXCEPT the satellite radio drops out regularly- usually can't make it through one song. More-so when trees or buildings are around,. I haven't had this problem in other cars, though this is the first I've tried satellite in this area (Oregon).

Anybody else experience this in their F30 & get it resolved?

I'm out of town for a few weeks, so no time to take it in to be checked out yet.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Been a problem w/Sirius many years.

I didn't renew, so the problem disappeared.

But their sales calls didn't. Far, far from it. I learned to detest the service more than when I had it....
F30 was delivered a couple of weeks ago... all is well, EXCEPT the satellite radio drops out regularly- usually can't make it through one song. More-so when trees or buildings are around,. I haven't had this problem in other cars, though this is the first I've tried satellite in this area (Oregon).

Anybody else experience this in their F30 & get it resolved?

I'm out of town for a few weeks, so no time to take it in to be checked out yet.
Hmmmm...really? Not my experience, and I just don't recall a lot of chatter about the type of loss of signal the OP seems to be having. :dunno: Maybe I've been missing it. I've had two aftermarket systems and two bimmers with Sirius or Sirius/XM in the last eight years.

It's a very mature technology and there is no reason why you should not have an acceptable SNR with adequate dBm level at the antenna output.

OP - recommend you schedule a service appointment to diagnose the problem.

Only time I have an issue is under my condo parking deck. :bigpimp:
Been a problem w/Sirius many years.

I didn't renew, so the problem disappeared.

But their sales calls didn't. Far, far from it. I learned to detest the service more than when I had it....
Sirius was a $600 lesson in what not to do when I bought my car. Spotty reception has been noted many, many times here - seek and ye shall find!
Hmmmm...really? Not my experience, and I just don't recall a lot of chatter about the type of loss of signal the OP seems to be having. :dunno: Maybe I've been missing it. I've had two aftermarket systems and two bimmers with Sirius or Sirius/XM in the last eight years.

It's a very mature technology and there is no reason why you should not have an acceptable SNR with adequate dBm level at the antenna output.

OP - recommend you schedule a service appointment to diagnose the problem.

Only time I have an issue is under my condo parking deck. :bigpimp:
Sirius reception is indeed dependent on location. I've been in places where dropouts have been pretty bad, and others where reception is fine. No direct experience with Oregon. Also, I definitely experience more dropouts in summer than winter due to trees. I suggest you try a different BMW with Sirius to see if it's any better. Of course, none of this addresses the lousy sound quality even when reception is good. Which is the main reason why I will not be renewing my subscription.
The Sirius in my F30 is way better than what was in my E90.

However, Sirius reception is not as good in general as XM.
Sirius connection isn't that great

110% when it goes under a freeway under pass whatever you wanna call it, the sirius xm radio would cut out till im out of there.

Truly the connection is horrible, im tired of updating my ipod list, and im tired of advertisements so i just stick with sirius
Just sold my E92. I had Sirius in that car for 5 years and never had a drop out unless I was in a covered parking garage.

Just took delivery of my new 340 and the Sirius XM drops out constantly. It drops out 10 times in a 15 minute drive. Terrible.

I had an Infiniti G35 before the E92 and that thing had XM (when the companies were separate). My new 340 is acting exactly as that one did.

I am pretty far North and as I understand it, Sirius is better up North because there is a satellite over the northern part of the country. XM only has a satellite in the South. The low angle of trying to reach an XM satellite when this far North means any building, tree, or minor obstruction causes the signal to drop.

If I had to guess, it looks like the combined company SiriusXM is going to XM route. Terrible. Maybe there is something wrong with my car. Thoughts??
Sirius recently had a change with their satellites and apparently are on a lower orbit, so what was once bad reception is now worse, especially in cities.
Wonderful. Seems strange my old E92 worked perfectly fine and alter that afternoon the 340 sucked. Driving in the same area.
Sirius recently had a change with their satellites and apparently are on a lower orbit, so what was once bad reception is now worse, especially in cities.
Hey man, that's what I was informed of by sirius. I don't control it, lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Sirius/XM reception is about the same on my 16' 428xi as it is on my motorcycle and as it was on my Lexus GS. I concluded that the problem is location + Sirius crappy satellite positions. Bridges, building, trees, arbors, telephone wires, birds, clouds, clear sky, birds, wind muck with my reception. Really considering just using Pandora from now on and saving some subscription ducats.

steviej
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.