BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everydoby I need more feedback please: :dunno:
I decided to ask for the Satellite Radio Preparation w/ Sirius on my new E90, but I have some questions:
What does it entail? Is it easy to simply ad a system later? What equipment would I need if so (Models)? Should I have gone with the whole setup or just the preparation is enough?
Forgive me, but I'm just tired of hearing announcers on the radio talking about their problems in life and the annoying commercials cutting my music enjoyment, especially so on my new forecoming ( time capsule) car! :mad:

·
Registered
42 Posts
rojasorone said:
I decided to ask for the Satellite Radio Preparation w/ Sirius on my new E90, but I have some questions:
What does it entail? Is it easy to simply ad a system later? What equipment would I need if so (Models)? Should I have gone with the whole setup or just the preparation is enough?
Forgive me, but I'm just tired of hearing announcers on the radio talking about their problems in life and the annoying commercials cutting my music enjoyment, especially so on my new forecoming ( time capsule) car! :mad:
If you want Sirius , why not just order the whole system initially? That way you can save time and money.

The pre-wiring is worthless without the Sirius system anyway.

Btw, how hard is it to add XM Radio instead of Sirius?

·
Registered
400 Posts
rojasorone said:
Its a good idea to order it prepped even if you are just considering it. there will not be a kit to retrofit it for a while at least.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
MitchFlorida said:
If you want Sirius , why not just order the whole system initially? That way you can save time and money.

I already own the Sirius receiver in my retro-fitted 02. No need to order a new one. Plug and play with Sat Prep. :bigpimp:

·
Registered
368 Posts
MitchFlorida said:

You would probably have to go with an FM modulation setup or aftermarket into the AUX input. But, since I've owned both (FM modulated Sirius on old car, factory XM in my current Accord), I can tell you I would absolutely go with the OEM install. Plus, I like Sirius better programming wise and the sound is better. Both are heavily compressed but XM really sounds like it IMHO. I just can't see cluttering up a new BMW with $300 worth of aftermarket sat radio equipment when you can have it included for $600. YMMV :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason is portability I wonder it there is a unit I could use in my other car (4Runner) as well, since my E90 is more of a leisure car. Any advise on a particular model for Sirius? Thanks for your feedback

·
Registered
368 Posts
rojasorone said:
The reason is portability I wonder it there is a unit I could use in my other car (4Runner) as well, since my E90 is more of a leisure car. Any advise on a particular model for Sirius? Thanks for your feedback
well - they don't make the particular model I had anymore (just your basic receiver) but the basic Sportster looks like it will fit your bill. $100 for the receiver - $50 for the car kit (Circuit City, ad nauseum will probably stick you $60 for the install per car). If you want a home kit, you can get that for around $50 too. One advantage of Sirius - streaming radio is FREE online! :) XM screws you for an additional $4 per month for the service. I used Sirius all the time at work - highly recommend the 'Hair Band Nation' when you've got some work to do and need your old Van Halen/Hagar, Def Leppard, LA Guns, Ratt or whatever fix :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sat. Radio retrofit

i just bought a 2004 525i, It pretty much comes with every option in the book, unfortunatelly i wanted to install sirius radio and found out that it did not come with the sat. radio preparation option. Any suggestions on how to retrofit it to work with the I-drive system?

·
Registered
254 Posts

It's fairly simple to add XM. I swapped out my ashtray for the sunglass tray and installed an XM Sportscaster in the tray. It uses the sharkfin antenna, and plugs into the AUX input in the center console. The tray cover closes normally to hide the unit. Sportscaster display matches BMW orange. It comes with a small remote that stores in the center console. Total cost for the project about $110. Installed in about an hour.

Here's how to do it. The thread is long - the install gets more refined near the end: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16587

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you're considering getting Sirius in the future, it is better to get it factory fitted, as that would be cheaper compared to getting it installed later. Also, you get a year's worth of subscription free (costing apprx. $140-160), which makes it a good deal.

Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.