BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting my d cleaned up for spring (the summer rubber is back on and she is clean again) I was looking at all the soft rubber seals (trunk, doors, etc) and wondering what is the best thing to use (if anything) to keep them from drying out.

For those of you who are much better about detailing (and you know who you are Kat), what do you recommend for the rubber seals?

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Who, me????:dunno:

My more or less weekly treatment on the cabrio top seals is Einzett Gummi Pflege. When I mentioned to my SA that I used it routinely he cracked a big grin and gave me a two thumbs up.

That being said, I just ordered a syringe of Krytox to use on areas I don't treat weekly.

Gummi Plege is easy to apply and doesn't discolor the rubber.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Gummi Pflege - not as often as Kat, but at least every 2 months on the 'vert, 3 months on the wagon.

Tom

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
Who, me????:dunno:

My more or less weekly treatment on the cabrio top seals is Einzett Gummi Pflege. When I mentioned to my SA that I used it routinely he cracked a big grin and gave me a two thumbs up.

That being said, I just ordered a syringe of Krytox to use on areas I don't treat weekly.

Gummi Plege is easy to apply and doesn't discolor the rubber.
By far the best, it's more like the "original" gummi but it is expensive, but if I had a vert, it would be the first thing bought, the stuff is incredibly tough and is also good for eliminating plastic-to-plastic squeaks in body panels (door panel to metal door frame?? :)

but I digress ...

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
Are you asking where you can get Gummi Pfledge or Krytox? I use Gummi Pfledge but not as often as posted here. I use it maybe 3 times a year on all my BMWs and my Ford Superduty. I use Vinylex for all the plastic parts. GF is without a doubt some of the best stuff out there but if you can't locate it you can in a pinch use di-electric grease which is a major component of GF. GF can be purchased by most of our vendors and places like BavAuto, etc...
What is Krytox by the way?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks. I was thinking of either one since both sound like good products and was looking to see if one was easier to find than the other. Sounds like both are online purchases.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all - gp ordered today!

·
Tastes like chicken
1,160 Posts
I just ordered some Gummi Pflege (3.4oz) through Amazon for $8. Picked up some Lexol to get the order over $25 and got me some free shipping.

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
Just ordered mine from Amazon. So what all will this help? I hear will help squeeks?
The Kroytox has eliminated my door squeaks completely. In fact, I cannot remember when I last applied it (at least 6+ months ago) and I just now am starting to notice the doors a bit again and might do another application. The stuff truly works well and lasts a long time.

On the inner and outer rubber seals, I use GummiPflege as well -- about 2-3 times a year. Not sure what interval is recommended but I figure some is better than none. :)

·
Tastes like chicken
1,160 Posts
Did my seals today for the first time ever on my '09 with the Gummi Pfledge bottle I got from Amazon. They were definitely dry, and drier than I imagined they would be. Kat, any tricks on how to keep the sponge moist when trying to do seals on the underside since the bottle is upside down? I was tipping it over into a paper towel and pressing to trigger the mechanism to release the stuff, but it still seemed like the sponge applicator was drier than I would like to get more onto the seals at a pass.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Did my seals today for the first time ever on my '09 with the Gummi Pfledge bottle I got from Amazon. They were definitely dry, and drier than I imagined they would be. Kat, any tricks on how to keep the sponge moist when trying to do seals on the underside since the bottle is upside down? I was tipping it over into a paper towel and pressing to trigger the mechanism to release the stuff, but it still seemed like the sponge applicator was drier than I would like to get more onto the seals at a pass.
I gave up on that sponge applicator from the get-go. What I do is take the blue version of these handy applicators, (purchased from Autogeek) and get it wet with the Gummi pflege. I can then run it all along the seal and into the deeper grooves of the seals that are on the ends. I follow with a microfiber sponge just to help smooth everything out. Takes me about 5 minutes to do all the seals.

·
Tastes like chicken
1,160 Posts
I gave up on that sponge applicator from the get-go. What I do is take the blue version of these handy applicators, (purchased from Autogeek) and get it wet with the Gummi pflege. I can then run it all along the seal and into the deeper grooves of the seals that are on the ends. I follow with a microfiber sponge just to help smooth everything out. Takes me about 5 minutes to do all the seals.

Hmmm......that sounds doable. I was wondering how to get it easily into the deep grooves on the sides. Do you treat the harder rubber gasket across the top of the windshield header, or just it's corresponding mate on the first roof panel?

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
TD,

Yes, the hard rubber gasket gets a thin coat as well. The GP doesn't really soak into it like it does into the seals, so it's usually the last area I hit. I've also used 303 Aerospace Protectant on that gasket.

·
Tastes like chicken
1,160 Posts
I'll definitely be doing this on a more regular basis (probably once a quarter, since we don't get the sun like you do down there and the car is garaged 90% of the time). I've been a negligent E93 owner! I've got zero leaks and want to keep it that way. How long does a bottle of this stuff last? Seems like it would last a while.

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
Hmmm......that sounds doable. I was wondering how to get it easily into the deep grooves on the sides. Do you treat the harder rubber gasket across the top of the windshield header, or just it's corresponding mate on the first roof panel?
The best thing for the hard rubber gasket will be the krytox as it penetrates and is far more UV resistant than the new GF. If you remember the old GF product, it was very similar to the krytox in consistency. The new stuff is ok, but doesn't last more than a few weeks in either the cold or the heat and doesn't contain any anti-squeak properties, it's just really a rubber-safe moisturizer.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
I'll definitely be doing this on a more regular basis (probably once a quarter, since we don't get the sun like you do down there and the car is garaged 90% of the time). I've been a negligent E93 owner! I've got zero leaks and want to keep it that way. How long does a bottle of this stuff last? Seems like it would last a while.
Even at my accelerated usage, I'm no where near through my first bottle, and I've been using it for about 1.5 years.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts