BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Saved $$ Hitch Installation

799 2
I decided to install the hitch myself after talking to the BMW guys at their shop here in Germany there was no wiring needed for lights and they wanted between 150 to 250 euros. ($190.- $317):( The paper work that came with the hitch said the job should take 40min for a professional, I think that is for someone the has installed one before. It took me two hours.:confused: I think all their mechanic must have very small hands and skinny arms because there wasn't any room up behind the bumper to tighten the nuts especially the top nuts,:yikes: but I did manage to get them all torqued down. The hitch had paint in the holes which was no biggie just took time to file it out. I had to trim one of the under body panels around the hitch on the left side and the back but it turned out nice. Total cost for adding a hitch to my 328XI Sportwagon was $18.00 shop time, plus the hitch. :thumbup:

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Nice job!

Which hitch did you use?
It is made by curt, cost was $264 from Bavarian Autosport part number 11771. I was thinking about going with the hide away hitch but they wanted 700+. I didn't want the hitch to stick out beyond the bumper. I was worried about hitting my shin on it when using the back door. It doesn't look like that will be a problem.:thumbup:
Nice job!

Which hitch did you use?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.