Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
… for 116 days.

Bubba County gave up on recycling after the hurricane flattened half the county. I live near the county line, and the next county over still recycled up until the 'rona shutdown-smackdown. I'd go to the Publix near the county line, so I'd combine grocery shopping and recycling.

Plan C it to take this load, 30 buckets, four counties over when I take the X3 in for a free oil change.

We use a lot of bottled water. But, I compact everything I can. Dong that, we generate a bucket of plastic about every four days. It takes about 4 1/2 months to fill up one of those buckets with crushed aluminum cans.

My former employer has bins for collecting bond paper, scrap steel, and cardboard. So, I get rid of that stuff there.

Our household trash ends up being about three 13-gallon kitchen trash bags per week. That's for two humans and three cats.

Attachments

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,656 Posts
Boy I had a totally different picture in my mind when I read that title, just couldn't figure out what the virus had to do with your toilet.
Here in Michigan we have a deposit on pop cans and bottles and the governor just started allowing those returns a couple weeks ago but all the stores around us have so many limitations it would take weeks to take them all back, lucky for us our daughters softball program took them as donations.
As for regular garbage and recycling, nothing ever changed...but we didn't have a hurricane, just the virus. There was a huge flood about 100 miles north of us though when a damn broke, I'm sure they are getting no service since they are under water.

Posted through Tapatalk downloaded to my neural implant

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,443 Posts
All recyclables are commingled here, ferrous, aluminum, and triangled-plastics. They used to pay for the whole sheboon until China stopped accepting trash for recycling. Household wet garbage used to cost 15¢ / pound but the town-idiots lost money on that. Now they are trying $2.60 per 33 gallons volume or ~250 pounds water. I'm still filling my first $2.60 bag.

We make about 10# wet garbage per week.

My #1 and #2 go in a 2000 gallon holding tank, just like on a sailboat, that is pumped and dumped to a meadow and down the cracks to Lake Michigan. CAFO can't dispose of cow manure that way but a biodigester is too expensive for idiots to invest in. And they wonder why the local economy has tanked.

The solution to pollution is dilution.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
China stopped taking a lot of scrap plastic as part of the trade war.

It now only makes economic sense to recycle cardboard and aluminum, and steel in commercial and industrial cycles. There are three reasons to recycle: reduces landfill volume, reduce energy consumption, and recover raw materials.

Reducing landfill volume is a moot point here in Bubbaville. There's 75 miles of unarable land between Bubba County, Floriduh and Alabama. Energy and raw materials (petroleum for plastics) is cheap. The raw material in glass (sand) is effectively an inexhaustible resource. It also takes about the same amount of energy to make a new glass bottle from an old one as it does to make one from sand. There's also a lot of costs for processing and transporting recyclables.

Bubba County's landfill's tipping fees are about $50/ton. The county had to pay a recycling contractor about $100/ton to sort and ship recyclables. Between lost tipping fees and paying the recycling contractor, it cost Bubba County $150/ton to recycle, not including getting the recyclables to the contractor. (The contractor's facility was flattened in the hurricane.) So, recycling here ended up being about $0.10/pound.

The local cardboard recycler charges business $25/dumpster to get rid of cardboard. But, that's a lot cheaper than it costs to get rid of a dumpster of garbage.

Europe had higher energy costs (because of taxation) and higher landfill volume costs (due to higher population density) than the US. So, they're better at recycling than we are. Here's a state-of-the-art German plastic recycling plant. But, they still only recycle about 2/3's of what is generated, and the recycled material is still not pure enough for food containers.

https://youtu.be/I_fUpP-hq3A

Obsessive hoarders often save their pee and poo (a.k.a. #1 and @2) in jars. Ewww.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Non-Bubba County has resumed collecting recyclables. But, they stopped parking a trailer just over the county line (~8 miles from my house) and ~2 miles from my favorite grocery store, the "MILF Publix." Their next closest recycling station is 21 miles from my house. It doesn't make sense environmentally to drive 42 miles to recycle. We used to meet friends at a restaurant in that direction about once a month. I still have that oil change coming up in the X3, though. With the 'rona lockdown-smackdown, getting a BMW serviced is just about our only reason to go that way.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The X3 had been sitting for a few days. So, I took the 42 mile drive to charge the battery and burn off some gas before it goes stale. Non-Bubba county's moved their recycling trailers to a paved parking lot at the country offices complex. They'd been in a gravel and clay "park and ride" parking lot. Getting the car's carpets dirty when dropping off the recyclables always annoyed me. The X3 can hold three big leaf bags of plastic (30 buckets), plus five buckets. We generate about 90 buckets of compacted plastic a year. I can recycle cardboard, bond paper, and steel cans locally where I used to work. It'll take me a year to fill three buckets with compacted aluminum cans. I might save them and sell them to local recycler for $1/pound.

Frau Putzer's put her foot down and said that leaf bags of our plastics must "shelter in place" in the garage attic instead of the back porch or living room.

In other tree-hugging news, our gasoline use so far in 2020 is 0.8 gallons/person/day, down from 1.2 gallons/person/day in 2019 and 1.5 gallons/person/day in 2012 (the last year we were both working). A lot of our gasoline use was our separate daily trips to gyms, and me going to lunch with my working stiff friends during the week. That's all been cancelled since late March due to the 'rona.

I got 36.0 MPG with the X3 xDrive 30i on my 42-mile recreational driving/recycling run. That's better than my 2007 Chevy Cobalt can do.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting ready to torch the place? :)
We got stacked everywhere in our 1500 square foot house and 480 square foot (20' x 22') garage. There's currently four new Michelin PS 4S's in the living room. There is no room in the garage for them and two BMW's. I need to get some suspension repair done before I put them on. I bought them early to get the spring Michelin rebate ($70) and a 10% credit card rebate scam (~$100).

Our next house will have... storage, storage, storage, and more storage... and a cat bathroom.

There'll be an ~8" x ~16" opening on a stair for the cats, and a cat piss proof frameless glass shower door on the other side to access for cleaning. It will have a shower floor, a hose bib (spigot with threads for attaching a hose), a drain, and tile ~18" up the walls for errant cat pissing. Because it's on the stair, the cat bathroom floor will be ~26" higher than where we stand to clean out the litter boxes.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
We got stacked everywhere in our 1500 square foot house and 480 square foot (20' x 22') garage. There's currently four new Michelin PS 4S's in the living room. There is no room in the garage for them and two BMW's. I need to get some suspension repair done before I put them on. I bought them early to get the spring Michelin rebate ($70) and a 10% credit card rebate scam (~$100).

Our next house will have... storage, storage, storage, and more storage... and a cat bathroom.

There'll be an ~8" x ~16" opening on a stair for the cats, and a cat piss proof frameless glass shower door on the other side to access for cleaning. It will have a shower floor, a hose bib (spigot with threads for attaching a hose), a drain, and tile ~18" up the walls for errant cat pissing. Because it's on the stair, the cat bathroom floor will be ~26" higher than where we stand to clean out the litter boxes.
Just be careful what you tell the insurance company. It's quite the devious plan to get rid of the cats and ...

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just be careful what you tell the insurance company. It's quite the devious plan to get rid of the cats and ...
It's not waste, it's "recyclables."

The two cars in the garage can have up to 35 gallons of gasoline in them, and another gallon of non-ethanol gasoline on the shelf for the gasoline powered implements of destruction (mower, edger, trimmer, blower, clipper)

I worry about our cats being trapped in a house fire. The new house will have a cat door so they can get on the big screened porch and buy some time before the fire department gets there.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
The new house will have a cat door so they can get on the big screened porch and buy some time before the fire department gets there.
You're halfway there. Follow this process to completely solve your issue while retaining domesticated critter companionship:

- Put another door from the screened porch to the outside
- Buy a dog
- Teach it to do its business outside
- Get rid of cat(s)

:dunno:

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I've changed my mind about cats. The original "stepcats" were part of a package deal with Frau Putzer. They all lived ~17 years, now replaced by three more.

When I was a kid, we had a German Shepherd. I tried to teach him to crap in a hole. When he'd crap, I'd scoop it up with a shovel and show him that it went in the hole. So, he learned to... take a crap and walk to the shovel.

A childhood friend of mine got rid of his family's German Shepherd's crap by shooting it at passing cars with a tennis ball cannon. One driver got out and was going to kick my friend's ass. But, the second cannon went off and plastered him with flaming dog ****. He got back in his car and drove on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts