Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until last week, I had not seen a single 2002 model E46 sedan on the road. Then, I saw 3 of them in one week - a steel blue, orient blue and red. IMO, the revised styling looks great in person - I was undecided about the new styling based only on pictures, but seeing the new headlights, bumper and grill in person has made me a fan of the new look.

·
super-sexy
247 Posts
:)

I hardly see the '02 sedan anywhere, and I've yet to see another touring.. but I see a nice red one nearly every day going to work.

Gotta love it!

- Cowboy

T

·
0 Posts
I've seen MANY 2002 E46 sedans but I saw the first one I honestly found attractive this AM on my commute.

It was a topaz blue 330i SP sedan with clears. I normally do not endorse clears, But having the center strip on the taillights clear rather than amber makes them look a lot less goofy. And the front clears again make the drawn back eye look of the new headlights not look as deformed. And since the car was a 330i with the SP, the lower bumper was the same as on the '01 330is with SP, which I always liked.

Overall, an attractive car. Not that it would not be better looking with the '01 front and rear. But more than acceptable nevertheless.

This car was on Canal Rd headed into DC. Was this any of you guys? (Lurkers?)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Got One

Having just bought a 2002 330i, I've been enjoying the exclusivity. At least until yesterday when an identical car (Jet Black with Sport Package) was parked near me. Then I saw another Jet Black with SP on the way back to work from lunch. Well, I enjoyed it while it lasted!

--gary

·
Registered
93 Posts
TD said:
I've seen MANY 2002 E46 sedans but I saw the first one I honestly found attractive this AM on my commute.

It was a topaz blue 330i SP sedan with clears. I normally do not endorse clears, But having the center strip on the taillights clear rather than amber makes them look a lot less goofy. And the front clears again make the drawn back eye look of the new headlights not look as deformed. And since the car was a 330i with the SP, the lower bumper was the same as on the '01 330is with SP, which I always liked.

Overall, an attractive car. Not that it would not be better looking with the '01 front and rear. But more than acceptable nevertheless.

Good to hear some of you are having a change of heart to the '02's. Speaking of Topaz Blue with Clears.....not a 330 but still looks great IMO. Car looks much sportier w/o amber lenses.

Attachments

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
TD said:

What I've found is that they're pretty good looking on darker color cars...A Bangle trait? I still think they're no better than the pre-02 design. If it aint' broke why fix it? I think the only element that I like better than the '99-01 on the '02s is the fact the hood bulge extends to the A pillar.

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
Agreed! The 02's are very nice in the dark colors with clears.

I detest with a passion the 325i bumper skins (which are also the 330i SP bumper skins here in Canada) in light colors, particularly in silver! Yuk!

Those orange indicators do nothing for the pre-02's but they really attract your eyes unnecessarily to the lights on the 02's. Clears are MUCH better.

The pre-02 sedans were not color sensitive, the 02's are.

- JP

·
Registered
590 Posts
JPinTO said:
Agreed! The 02's are very nice in the dark colors with clears.

I detest with a passion the 325i bumper skins (which are also the 330i SP bumper skins here in Canada) in light colors, particularly in silver! Yuk!

Those orange indicators do nothing for the pre-02's but they really attract your eyes unnecessarily to the lights on the 02's. Clears are MUCH better.

The pre-02 sedans were not color sensitive, the 02's are.

- JP
Yep, but it's illegal to run clears on the sedan in the US, due to our Department of Transportation regulations.

--gary

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
I personally love the look of my sedan (I'd better!), and dislike the look of clears. I think the whole "clears thing" has become cliche'.

:dunno:

20,210 Posts
Nat Brown said:

Yep, but it's illegal to run clears on the sedan in the US, due to our Department of Transportation regulations.

--gary
So I guess clears with painted reflectors are REALLY out of the question:

:eeps: :eeps: :eeps: :eeps: :eeps: :eeps: :eeps:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nat Brown said:

--gary
Right. But I don't think CHP will pull you over for having the clears on unless you don't use amber bulbs. At any rate, I'm keeping the orange reflectors that Bekkers sent me in my glove box incase I really ever need to attach them to the front bumper.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
I think the '02 side marker placement is pretty nice, looks like it's a big longer too.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yep, starting to seem them around here too.

Someone else in the neighborhood has a TiAg wagon... seen it 2-3 times in the last week. There are now 3-4 wagons in the neighborhood. So much for its uniqueness. Haven't seen another white one yet though (others are TiAg and Steel Blue).

·
Registered
145 Posts
'02 Sedan Lower bumper

I've got an '02 Sedan on order and was a little hesitant about the lower front bumper. Ok, very hesitant - it looks like a plow. In any case, I saw an '02 330 Sedan with the SP. The Titanium insert on the lower bumper changes the entire look. It matches up with the grill and is a 100% improvement. Should be an easy and painless mod.... However Titanium insert kits for the Headlights aren't out yet.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Re: '02 Sedan Lower bumper

aldo said:
I've got an '02 Sedan on order and was a little hesitant about the lower front bumper. Ok, very hesitant - it looks like a plow. In any case, I saw an '02 330 Sedan with the SP. The Titanium insert on the lower bumper changes the entire look. It matches up with the grill and is a 100% improvement. Should be an easy and painless mod.... However Titanium insert kits for the Headlights aren't out yet.

Cool. How do I get the insert?

--gary

·
Registered
145 Posts
Titanium Insert

I just talked to the folks in the parts department and they came up with a number. I should have it in hand by the end of the week and will post the number.....Its a grid in the center with two "wings" extending out on either side. It does wonders to remove the "plow" look.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: Titanium Insert

aldo said:
I just talked to the folks in the parts department and they came up with a number. I should have it in hand by the end of the week and will post the number.....Its a grid in the center with two "wings" extending out on either side. It does wonders to remove the "plow" look.....
Great, let us know what you find. I know exactly what part your referring to. It looks very nice, I saw it in BMW Magazine in the Oct issue on a Topaz blue sedan. Too bad the link is gone...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw the best looking 2002 E46 sedan today...

Well guys, they say that when it rains, it pours. On my way home from work today, I was driving along side a brand new 2002 330i, sport and premium packages, 18" wheels, Ti Silver with Gray leather. Without a doubt, this was the best looking E46 sedan I have seen.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts