BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read that Walmart is leaving Germany. I have noticed that many EDers have used this familiar store to stock up on supplies while doing their ED trips. We stopped in one in Munich just out of curiosity, wondering how it might be different or the same. Complete article Here.

·
ZHPper
2,128 Posts
Good riddance, many better places to shop there and here. We saw three that had been closed two years ago and our German friends said they were on the way out...they hated them.

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
:aty:

·
Registered
324 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I stopped there on my first ED out of curiosity just to see how it compared to our stores...it looked more like a dollar store warehouse with a few cd's in the back and a coke machine in the front

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm embarassed to say it's the first place we dialed up on Navigation when we left the delivery center in Munich. Funny thing is we hate Walmart, never go there in the states, because they're so damn cramped and I get claustrophobic easily.

We thought it would be a good place in Munich to pick up a few snacks, breakfast stuff, World Cup T-shirts, water, something to get the cat pee smell out of my wife's suitcase (which we somehow didn't catch until after we arrived!), stuff like that. And it worked pretty good. But I agree, it was a bit of a dive, and no-one in there seemed particularly happy to be there...

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I've been to Walmart once in my life to buy a box of chalk....it was a Sunday and I needed some for Open House signs.

I have no need for WalMart and couldn't care less about them. They should close all of their stores and send those ships loaded down with cheaply made junk back to China.

I heard on Bloomberg that the German WalMart employees really hated the WalMart management style.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
MARCUS330i said:
I heard on Bloomberg that the German WalMart employees really hated the WalMart management style.
That is correct. Apparently, WalMart employees are supposed to chant some sort of slogan or cheer in the morning in a big group. That didn't go over well in Germany. WalMart managers also wanted the cashiers to smile when serving customers - that didn't go over well with either the cashiers or the customers (made the customers feel uncomfortable).

WalMart entered the German market by purchasing Wertkauf and one other 2nd tier retailer years back. Wertkauf was one of the first discounters in Germany but was nothing special (ok, neither is WalMart aside from its purchasing clout). But the acquisitions left WalMart with a patchwork of stores in odd locations and the tendency for German stores to sell mostly locally produced goods didn't work well for WalMart.

·
Wannabe Bayer
92 Posts
woody underwood said:
Good riddance...
+2

It's incredible that such a big and successful company with so many resources would make classic mistakes like that. Mistakes that other companies have made in the past when trying to go international. Research, research, research...

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Deutschhof said:
It's incredible that such a big and successful company with so many resources would make classic mistakes like that. Mistakes that other companies have made in the past when trying to go international. Research, research, research...
They also bagged customers' groceries, which customers of course did not appreciate.

·
Wannabe Bayer
92 Posts
Jspira said:
They also bagged customers' groceries, which customers of course did not appreciate.
Speaking of going grocery shopping in Germany, I love watching my wife at the checkout. It's crazy. She moves faster than a professional boxer! :rofl: If others have gone grocery shopping with German friends or relatives in Germany, I think you know what I mean. :)

·
howdy
266 Posts
Jspira said:
Kaufhof is not a discounter. That is like saying instead of Walmart you can go to Macys. :dunno:
I meant to suggest Kaufhof as a one-stop shopping place for provisions, even though it's probably not the best place to pick up groceries.

Wal-Mart might be a discounter this moment, but I don't want to get into a discussion of economics and monopoly.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Very interesting how the people react to such things...very interesting.

Now for some in the know, how about letting us know why Germans don't like smiling cashiers or having them bag their goods or a friendly hello upon entering the store? I'm just curious about the customs.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Ågent99 said:
Very interesting how the people react to such things...very interesting.

Now for some in the know, how about letting us know why Germans don't like smiling cashiers or having them bag their goods or a friendly hello upon entering the store? I'm just curious about the customs.
Male customers thought the female cashiers were flirting.

Bagging - just isn't done. Tradition!

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
woody underwood said:
Kaufhof struck me as being like an old time Sears store...a little bit of everything but mostly good quality. Walmart sells junk, the Germans realized it and didn't buy. Of course the management/service style didn't help either.
I bought a LOT of stuff from Kaufhof when I was in school. TV, dishes, glassware, misc. stuff, plus some clothing (gloves one winter when I realized mine were not in the same country).

They took cr cards and made MWSt. refunds very easy.

They are no KaDeWe but still decent enough.

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Jspira said:
I bought a LOT of stuff from Kaufhof when I was in school. TV, dishes, glassware, misc. stuff, plus some clothing (gloves one winter when I realized mine were not in the same country).

They took cr cards and made MWSt. refunds very easy.

They are no KaDeWe but still decent enough.
Though not a discount store or a department store, but rather a home store, we discovered this biller Erlebniswelt on the way back to Munich from Dingolfing. From my recollections it featured Kitchen Design, Home Furniture, Floor Covering, Kitchen and Dining Room gadgets, tools, accessories, etc. We probably spent at least an hour in there trying to get a feel for what the typical German homeowner was looking for to accessorize his/her home. It was a very nice store with quality merchandise, full stocked and well laid out.

Photo from parking lot:

Company Website

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.