BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
I've got the autoenginuity. It will not reset the BMW's 'Service Engine Soon' or airbag lights. When my coil went out and my SES light was on, I hooked up the ODB2 sensor and the BMW did not report any faults down to the ODB2 system. BMW has its own diagnostic system and it only sends the absolute minimum info down to ODB2 as required to be compliant.

For SES/Airbag lights, you need a Peake and it looks like they don't even make one tool that will reset both.

http://www.peakeresearch.com/products.htm

·
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kris.
I've placed an order for the Peake tool.

·
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have received my Peake tool.
The error codes I'm getting are CA, CB (Oxygen sensor control limit) and E3, E4 (Oxygen sensor adaptation limit).
I took the car to the dealer and they told me they want to change the mass airflow sensor (MAF). I feel uneasy about this, given the price of the part ($450 installed) since the Peake tool has a specific code for MAF (08 - air mass sensor) and that's not showing.

KrisL mentioned BMW has a custom diagnostics system (in addition to OBDII).
Could it be that the dealer knows more than what the Peake tool is telling me?
Are the codes from OBDII contradicting the dealer diagnosis?
What do O2 control and adaptation limit mean specifically? What parts should I change?

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Boile said:
I have received my Peake tool.
The error codes I'm getting are CA, CB (Oxygen sensor control limit) and E3, E4 (Oxygen sensor adaptation limit).
I took the car to the dealer and they told me they want to change the mass airflow sensor (MAF). I feel uneasy about this, given the price of the part ($450 installed) since the Peake tool has a specific code for MAF (08 - air mass sensor) and that's not showing.

KrisL mentioned BMW has a custom diagnostics system (in addition to OBDII).
Could it be that the dealer knows more than what the Peake tool is telling me?
Are the codes from OBDII contradicting the dealer diagnosis?
What do O2 control and adaptation limit mean specifically? What parts should I change?
The Peake tool is reading from the BMW sensors, not ODB2.

If the dealer wants to replace the MAF, I'd try cleaning it first. Lots of google results on how to do it:

http://www.google.com/search?q=clea...ient=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

That said, the O2 sensors are "after" the engine and the MAF is "before" it.. It's not terribly uncommon for O2 sensors to go bad... they may need to be replaced...

·
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Right. One is after and one is before the engine.
The question is... why the dealer diagnosed MAF when the code says O2 sensor?
I've already tried cleaning MAF with the CRC cleaner.

The SES light returns consistently after a few miles... :cry:
Exactly because of that, and the price of the MAF, I'm uneasy to trying a new MAF.
I think I may try new O2 sensors first... what do you think? My car has 65K miles and is running fine (perhaps a tad less fuel efficient).

·
I run gentoo. You?
597 Posts
Boile said:
Right. One is after and one is before the engine.
The question is... why the dealer diagnosed MAF when the code says O2 sensor?
I've already tried cleaning MAF with the CRC cleaner.
The SES light returns consistently after a few miles... :cry:
Exactly because of that, and the price of the MAF, I'm uneasy to trying a new MAF.
I think I may try new O2 sensors first... what do you think? My car has 65K miles.
maybe you can take it to an indy shop who can pull the codes with a more accurate tool than the peake. my peake tool has been wrong twice on my car. *shrug*. i took it to the indy shop, they pulled out the reader attached to a laptop and told me a lot more useful info than the little peake tool did.

·
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jillyjellyroll said:
maybe you can take it to an indy shop who can pull the codes with a more accurate tool than the peake. my peake tool has been wrong twice on my car. *shrug*. i took it to the indy shop, they pulled out the reader attached to a laptop and told me a lot more useful info than the little peake tool did.
Hmmm... not sure what an indy shop is.
I already took the car to the ultimate diagnosis place: the BMW dealer.
They said MAF.
I'm this close to just ordering a new MAF.
It's just that the Peake codes don't jive with it. :dunno:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts