BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with experiences from inexpencive pc-based diagnostic tools for home-fixing?
I want to reset a "restraint system warning" and plan to get myself a interface/program that can read and reset errorcodes on my 325i E90 -05.

· Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,725 Posts
Anyone with experiences from inexpencive pc-based diagnostic tools for home-fixing?
I want to reset a "restraint system warning" and plan to get myself a interface/program that can read and reset errorcodes on my 325i E90 -05.
Hi dalber. I have several professional type scan tools, the least expensive is USD 8000. It won't do what you need done. My most expensive and newest unit is also unable to do what you need.
Here in the US the federal government requires that the manufacturer tell us everything we need to know which in any way can affect emissions. They do. What they hate to tell us is anything having to do with all the other subsystems in the car. The companies which supply our aftermarket equipment can not make scan tools when BMW does not release the software coding.
I am afraid you may have no other choice but to buy a BMW unit if you want to work on restraint or other non-engine related systems. You can spend as little as USD100 here to buy a scanner which will reset simple engine codes, but it won't do restraint systems.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

· Registered
6,905 Posts
Bavariantechnic seems to be a good alternative but...only three vehicles? And computers dont last for more than 3 years what happens when you want to use the program on a new one?:dunno:
Carsoft is another candidate:
And what about INPA/Eidabas: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4576800/Inpa_5.0 With this interface: http://www.autosenz.com/productshow.asp?id=580&sortsid=813&bigclassid=1&bigid=187
Bavariantechnic offers a Professional edition that allows use of the product on an unlimited number of cars. See: http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx As far as your comment on computers lasting 3 years, I am not sure what you are referring to. If you are asking if it is possible to transfer the program from one computer to another, there is typically a license key that is contained in one of the pieces of hardware (interface adapter) that Bavariantechnic sells. The Bavariantechnic software checks the software license key and if the key is correct (for the version of software you are wanting to operate), then the program opens and can be used. In that scenario, you can install the software on multiple computers as you replace each one. You will only be able to use the computer for diagnostic and code resetting purposes when the Bavariantechnic interface adapter is connected to it.

· Registered
6,905 Posts
Hi dalber. I have several professional type scan tools, the least expensive is USD 8000. It won't do what you need done. My most expensive and newest unit is also unable to do what you need.
Here in the US the federal government requires that the manufacturer tell us everything we need to know which in any way can affect emissions. They do. What they hate to tell us is anything having to do with all the other subsystems in the car. The companies which supply our aftermarket equipment can not make scan tools when BMW does not release the software coding.
I am afraid you may have no other choice but to buy a BMW unit if you want to work on restraint or other non-engine related systems. You can spend as little as USD100 here to buy a scanner which will reset simple engine codes, but it won't do restraint systems.
DSX, any comments on the Baum tools scanners? In particular, I am referring to the DS 2020 and DS 2021 scanners.

· Registered
630 Posts
i have carsoft 8.25 and it does reset the codes and the only thing i am told it wont do is let you reset the odometer. my cars are earlier but does reset everything in the dme zke antitheft etc. it was $400.00 for the software and cables and interface. more than worth it for one trip to the dealer.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.