BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Astigmatic Visionary
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,being a fairly old fellow and always an avid photographer(used to load and process myself) I've got literally thousands of old slides,negatives and pics. I would like to digitize them so my question is are any of the moderately priced flatbed scanners up the job on slides and negs.? I'd love to have easier acsess to my old stuff especially the racing from the late 60s and 70s.I dont mind demounting the slides if I could get a reasonable output.Anyone have experience/input?

·
ex-M couper
1,750 Posts
Clarke said:
OK,being a fairly old fellow and always an avid photographer(used to load and process myself) I've got literally thousands of old slides,negatives and pics. I would like to digitize them so my question is are any of the moderately priced flatbed scanners up the job on slides and negs.? I'd love to have easier acsess to my old stuff especially the racing from the late 60s and 70s.I dont mind demounting the slides if I could get a reasonable output.Anyone have experience/input?
Nope, a flatbed scanner is not a good choice for scanning 35mm film. I use a Nikon Coolscan IV.

·
Astigmatic Visionary
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks; I was afraid of that,I guess I'll have to get both types of scanners. I'd been entertaining the slight hope of getting away with just one.

·
In Driving Heaven
2,772 Posts
You could use the flatbed if you aren't too picky about the results. My Epson does an adequate job of turning useable results out of negatives, for example. However, you'll lose a lot of the dynamic range of the pictures with a flatbed (check the Dmax rating to see why). If you've got a lot of slides, go with a real slide/negative scanner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No you CAN do slides on a flatbed. Look for something like the Epson Perfection 2450 (pretty sure that's the model). I have one that's a few years old and it has a flat slide template that you place on the flatbed to scan 4 slides at once. It must work like a macro scan or something b/c at 300dpi I was able to get great resolution - enough for a video DVD presentation recently where I did zooms on the pictures and everything.

There's also a negative tray. This may not be quite as easy as the Nikon negative/slide scanner but I think the price is probably better as well as being able to scan normally.

Good luck!
Larry

·
ex-M couper
1,750 Posts
Yes, I have the Epson Perfection scanner. Not sure of the model number. It has slide/negative scanning functionality, but I only use it for film sizes that are too large for my Nikon Coolscan IV (bigger than 35mm). The dedicated film scanner does a better job.
You CAN drive a '73 Ford, but your BMW does a better job.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
You probably need to try both and see if the flatbed is acceptable.

About a year ago I sold my Coolscan 4000ED to a coworker since I wasn't making any more film images. If you are willing to spend some time getting the perfect scan then I give that model two thumbs up. Its depth of field is shallower than some others so you have to pick a manual focus point on curved film. By "spend some time" I mean it did have a learning curve to get the best scans.

If you could whittle your collection down a little it might make sense to use a Kodak PhotoCD scanning service. They might have gotten better since I used them years ago and they weren't too bad for price & quality back then.

·
ex-M couper
1,750 Posts
Yep. Used the Kodak Photo CD scanning service once --- they lost two rolls of irreplaceable negtives.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts