BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 325xiT has just gone from "On Order" to "Scheduled for Production". I'm set up to pick it up October 9 in Munich through the ED program, with the following options & packages: PP, SP, CWP, 5 Speed, HK, Xenons, Titanium Silver, and Gray Leather.

One question. I know that there's a thread around about snow tires. I would prefer to have steel wheels for the snow tires (with wheel covers). Looking through the Tire Rack Web Site, I didn't see any steels wheels for this car. I sent an email to Tire Rack, and have just got a response that no 17" Steel wheels are made for this car, and a 16" wheel would not fit because of the different brake setup with the Sport Package. Is anyone aware of this fact?

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
I thought the sport package for the xi's was only cosmetic (aero kit, sport seat, sport steering wheel)?

(Wooohoooo...post number 100! :bigpimp: )

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
ERK said:
I thought the sport package for the xi's was only cosmetic (aero kit, sport seat, sport steering wheel)?
What aero kit? Sports Package on the xi and xiT gives you 17" wheels vs the base 16", sports seats and a 3 spoke steering wheel. Brakes are the same w/ or w/o it.

·
10,856 Posts
16" wheels will fit just fine.

Steel wheels cannot be used because the ADB system heats the brakes up so much while driving in snow that steel wheels "can lose their integrity."

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
AG said:
Don't the xi's come with all season tires regardless of the sport package option?
yeah, but the original poster wants a seperate set of wheels for snow tires.

·
3,762 Posts
mbushnell said:
My 2003 325xiT has just gone from "On Order" to "Scheduled for Production". I'm set up to pick it up October 9 in Munich through the ED program, with the following options & packages: PP, SP, CWP, 5 Speed, HK, Xenons, Titanium Silver, and Gray Leather.

One question. I know that there's a thread around about snow tires. I would prefer to have steel wheels for the snow tires (with wheel covers). Looking through the Tire Rack Web Site, I didn't see any steels wheels for this car. I sent an email to Tire Rack, and have just got a response that no 17" Steel wheels are made for this car, and a 16" wheel would not fit because of the different brake setup with the Sport Package. Is anyone aware of this fact?
I'm too lazy to check, but I'm assuming that the brakes on the 325 are smaller than the 330's? In any case, Tirerack does offer one 16" wheel (aluminum) that fits the 330i, so it should also fit the 325. It's the AT Italia type 5
. They had it specially made for the 330i application. I have them in 16" size for my winter set.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Nick for the info on why steel wheels can't be used. I seem to remember seeing something somewhere that steel wheels are available through BMW, however (of course, probably at dealer prices).

ff: What brand & size snow tires are you using? I'm looking at the Michelin Pilot Alpin.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
mbushnell said:

ff: What brand & size snow tires are you using? I'm looking at the Michelin Pilot Alpin.
I use Pilot Alpins. Like them a lot so far. Excellent handling for a snow tire.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
machmeter said:

All xi's with SP come with an aero kit (front air dam, side trim, rear bumper)...
Doe! :banghead: :banghead:

I think I figured it out...

330xi w/SP = aero
325xi(T) w/SP = no aero

Are we on the same page now? :D

·
10,856 Posts
mbushnell said:
Thanks, Nick for the info on why steel wheels can't be used. I seem to remember seeing something somewhere that steel wheels are available through BMW, however (of course, probably at dealer prices).

They are not available through BMW for use on xis. The recommendation comes from a TSB.

·
3,762 Posts
mbushnell said:

I'm using Blizzak MZ-01's. They are (according to tirerack) the best tire out there for deep snow and ice. They grip on ice extremely well, but at the expense of dry handling. High-speed manuevers require a bit more attention because the tire compound is so soft.

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
machmeter said:

All xi's with SP come with an aero kit (front air dam, side trim, rear bumper) in adition to steering wheel & sport seats. No sport suspension, alas.
Exactly!

And as Clyde said...the wagons get a different treatment than the sedans.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
ERK said:

Exactly!

And as Clyde said...the wagons get a different treatment than the sedans.
As per bmwusa.com, the 330xi has the aero kit and the 325xi does not (nor does the 325xiT).

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts

As per bmwusa.com, the 330xi has the aero kit and the 325xi does not (nor does the 325xiT).
Sad but true:bawling:

:banghead: :thumbdwn: :mad:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

Sad but true:bawling:

:banghead: :thumbdwn: :mad:
Why is that sad? How pissed would you be if they made it part of the 2003 sport package? :confused:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts

Why is that sad? How pissed would you be if they made it part of the 2003 sport package? :confused:
I just think it should have been an option. As for 2003 :mad: :mad: :mad: we already got the hose on the 4/50 maintenance and include moonroof (I would have skipped PP if that were true in 02s).

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

I just think it should have been an option. As for 2003 :mad: :mad: :mad: we already got the hose on the 4/50 maintenance and include moonroof (I would have skipped PP if that were true in 02s).
I forked over for the 4/50 upgrade. The moonroof...I wanted it, but didn't want to pay for it at the time. Now that I don't have it, I'm glad that I don't have it.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts