Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car #229, second heat.

Anyone else going to be there around then? Want to offer me some pointers?

(And, er, do I need to make a number for myself, or will that be provided? Do I need to bring anything else?)

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bet. :)

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, but I can't turn off ABD without taking out the ABS system, sadly.

I want swaybars. The biggest problem with the xi is that it has SO much understeer.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Yeah, but I can't turn off ABD without taking out the ABS system, sadly.

I want swaybars. The biggest problem with the xi is that it has SO much understeer.
The ABS cannot be disabled by any means...

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Glad to hear that you're gonna do it Nick. :thumb:

Yeah, you're gonna push and plow your way to an excuse for new tires. life could be worse :yikes:

You can tape your number to a window on each side of the car, get some magnetic numbers or let them put white shoe polish on the windows (comes off with Windex).

Don't forget to turn off DSC (well, as much as you can in the xi), although you may actually want to make your first run with it enabled.

I did three walkthroughs last week and I still had moments of hesitation on each of my runs. It would have been worse without the walkthroughs. There wasn't a lot time between the first and seconds heats last time, so you might want to get there before the first heat to get another walkthrough or two in. Also, it definately won't hurt to watch the first heat before you run. That would have helped me a lot last week.

In terms of driving the course, I'm not going to give you any direct advice, but I'll tell you something that is part of my plan this time around. I'm going to brake earlier than I htink I need to. If my plan works, I'm going to do much better this time (hopefully better than turning in a raw time that placed me 75 out of 85 :mad: )

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nate328Ci said:

The ABS cannot be disabled by any means...
Two words: FUSE BOX. :)

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice, Clyde. I'll definitely try to make it there early. An extra walkthrough, plus watching everyone else go is VERY appealing to me. The somewhat arbitrary and difficult to read autox tracks have always made me nervous.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, anyone who is going to be there, what heat are you in and what's your number?

T

·
0 Posts
I asked to be in the bottom half of the first heat and my wish was granted. I am car #121. (Look for the car in the sig pic.)

From what I have heard, JST, CD-55 and SteveMD will all be there in addition to you, me and Clyde.

Results of the last autox were posted earlier this week. BTW, Clyde, you'll see that, as far as points are concerned, I did no better than either you or Steve (who didn't quite stay on course). I guess this means I just have to attack things a bit more aggressively. Hunter (CD-55) seems to think my decision to go inside into the slalom cost me a solid second or two.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
TD said:
Results of the last autox were posted earlier this week. BTW, Clyde, you'll see that, as far as points are concerned, I did no better than either you or Steve (who didn't quite stay on course). I guess this means I just have to attack things a bit more aggressively. Hunter (CD-55) seems to think my decision to go inside into the slalom cost me a solid second or two.
True about the points, and TBH, I'm not that disapointed with my times considering the circumstances that I've mentioned before. Regarding the slalom, I alternated inside and outside on my runs and each of my runs was faster than the one before. I know that I was making up time elsewhere though. There was time to shave either by going inside at the beginning of it or on the straight following the slalom if you went outside at the start. I firmly believe that with my car's relative lack of power, going inside at the start was the better choice for me, but if I had been driving your car or a 330 going outside would have been better.

Next time, if I can get on the brakes a little sooner I should do a lot better. I am conviced that I could have shaved another two seconds or more if I had been able to run again after watching other people.

I didn't send in my reg until late last night and I haven't heard back yet so I don't know when I'll be running (last time, i didn't know until I got there). Also, a friend of mine with a Honda S2000 should be there as well.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I learned today that my car is a HELL of a lot more maneuverable with less gas. :p I hammered it into a turn i take very frequently, with the OBC indicated a range of 9 miles, and got surprised by throttle oversteer. Not something I'm used to in this car. :)

I look forward to seeing you guys there. :)

Hey Clyde... On a sidenote, want me to bring my ramps and we can take a look and see if you have a CDV? I'm not taking 'em out, but I'll point it out if you want. :)

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Hey Clyde... On a sidenote, want me to bring my ramps and we can take a look and see if you have a CDV? I'm not taking 'em out, but I'll point it out if you want. :)
I was kind of thinking about going looking for it. I'll let you know. Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts